Doppleganger (Ch 39)

LUCY POV

“Waah, I hate calculus” I whined after descending the staircase.

Jake chuckled “It’s not too bad”

“Says you. You’re like Rainman.”

His loud laugh roared through the hallway earning the usual looks. I swear, sometimes he can give Emmett a run for his money.

“Don’t hate on the talented, babe.”

I rolled my eyes, “You’re right. I’m a total hater.”

“Agreed.” He threw his arm around my shoulder and brought me into his side.

Theta. X plus Y squared to the root of blah blah blaaaah. My mind was officially fried as I left the torture chamber that was the classroom. Every day I would walk out of that place hating the subject more than I did the day before. It was a vicious chain that will eventually lead to my failing of the class. I had just started and I was barely keeping a solid C.

“Why? Why?” I turned to Jared and Kim who were walking beside me.

“I don’t know why. You ask me every day,” Kim laughed.

“Yeah well it’s payback to your complaining about Bio” I replied, “you and Embry should really bond over that.”

“hah” Jared laughed, “did he ever use the “it has nothing to do with life” line?” He shook his head, “I worry about him sometimes.”

Kim and I giggled, both knowing exactly what he was talking about.

“Hun we have to go to my locker first.” Kim told her boyfriend, pulling his hand in the other direction of the cafeteria.

“Oh right, we’ll see you uh.. later Lucy.” Jared scratched his head before quickly getting dragged off by Kim.

I rolled my eyes, they really couldn’t have been more obvious. Then again Jared and Kim were always going off to.. do their own thing. Hence Seth’s outrageous stories of finding them in sheds and closets. I stopped by my locker first to deposit my large Calc book that I hated more than the subject…. Maybe not more, but it came close. It was like 899 pages of formulas. I more-so threw the book causing a loud thud to resound before picking up my afternoon stuff. As I did so, I noticed a small paper fall out, fluttering to the ground. I bent down to pick it up and quickly unfolded the unfamiliar piece of plain notebook paper.

Imprint,

I had to go down to the guidance office to sort some stuff out, so I’m going to be late to lunch. See you in a bit.

Jake.

I laughed at his addressing me as “imprint” before putting the note back into my locker. After exchanging the books I closed the door and began walking to the cafeteria. I could already hear the loud ramble of chatter coming from down the hall as I passed by underclassmen who were in mid rush to their classes. I was surprised to find Jake standing near the door, his back to me. It seemed that he was busy reading the announcement bulletin board to notice me behind him. Wrapping my arms around him, I rested my head against his back.

“I thought you said you’d be late.”

I loosened my grip allowing him to turn around to face me. But it wasn’t Jake. A loud gasp escaped my throat as I stumbled back, my face already heating up. The guy I had pretty much just groped looked down, nothing but an amused expression on his face. Oh shit. I knew I was probably crimson right about now.