Nothing (Ch 45)

LUCY POV

I stood in the kitchen now helping Emily clear the plates. Thank God we had paper ones so the washing was only for the pans. And that really wasn’t happening any time soon.

“So Luce, you coming out with me tomorrow right?”Emily asked as she tied the second trash-bag of the day.

“Hell yeah. Black Friday madness? I love it” I laughed.

“booo I wanna go.” Stella frowned from her seat. “Ugh, I need to pee.”

Emily and I laughed while she gave us bemused looks. “Can’t wait till one of you gets giant like this.”

“Uh. We can.” I replied helping her up to her feet.

“Maybe you, but Emily.. hurry up. I want the joy of a niece or nephew. For once I wanna get you back for all the times you gave Claire chocolate two hours before bed.

Emily laughed, “You can wait a little longer on that one.”

Stella shook her head as she waddled her way out.

“I’m going to open up the desserts, dear.” Sue called as she and Cindy began to unwrap the good everyone brought with them.

“Luce, do me a favor and whip the mousse for me?” Emily asked with her head in the fridge.

I did as she asked, pulling the mousse from the freezer and grabbing a rubber spatula.

Minutes later, like clockwork, the boys all came into the kitchen bringing a whole mess of chatter with them. I continued my mixing before feeling Jake wrap his arms around my waist, pressing his body directly against mine. I turned to look at his wide smile; it was weird that just being away from him during dinner made me miss him.

“hi” I greeted.

He pecked my temple, “Hey.”

I turned in his arms and wrapped mine around his waist.

“Did you like the food?” I asked, looking up at him.

He nodded, “It was awesome, babe.”

“Was my stuffing dry?” I whispered, resting my chin on his lower chest.

He shook his head and leaned down, pressing his mouth to my ear. “It tasted almost as good as you.”

My cheeks immediately flared out in blush. I could feel it. I gasped and smacked his chest. “not in mixed company!”

He chuckled and stroked my cheek, “You’re adorable.” He continued to look at me.

I hid my face in his chest, growing shy from his gaze. “Stop you’re making me all nervous.”

He laughed loudly, “Come on, let me make you the plate I promised.”

“How about we share one? Or is that game gonna take you away from me again?”

He shook his head, “Nope, all finished.”

“Wait.” I turned and pulled the spatula from the bowl, scooping up some of the mousse. “For you”

He put his hand on his chest dramatically. “Thank you”

He took a lick before scooping some on his index finger and holding it to my lips. I grabbed his hand took his finger in mouth. Wow, the mousse turned out perfectly. Take that, Leah.

“Eeewah.” Seth groaned walking past us. “I hate you guys.”

Jake rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand his spatula free one, kissing my temple and leading me to the table. I realized that Jake was acting more affectionate than usual. I obviously wasn’t complaining, but it was certainly making me wonder. However that was instantly forgotten when I saw all the amazing cakes and pies that were set out.