Invincible (Ch 32)

JAKE POV

She was fast asleep within minutes, her head resting against my chest while her arm was wrapped around my waist. I couldn’t even feel our drastic height difference in this position, except when I looked down. Her feet were tangled with my legs, resting by my knees. My little shorty. I’m pretty sure we looked strange walking next to each other, seeing as the other imprinters managed to get girls who were closer to their heights- well, except for Quil, but he’s always the exception. But I loved everything about Lucy and I wouldn’t want to change a single hair on her head.

I don’t know how long I watched her sleep, but I just sat there laid there with her in my arms. She actually managed to keep me entertained, every once in a while muttering words like “water”, “wave”, “Claire”, “Jake” “Love..”. Things like that. This girl’s one of a kind.

The low ringing of my cell phone nearly made me jump out of my skin. I quickly scrambled to get it out of my pocket before it woke her up. I didn’t even both to look at the caller and just put the phone to my ear, turning to face away from her. She still wasn’t affected by any of it though, she just buried herself deeper into me.

“Hello” I hissed into the phone.

“Can you come to our place the patrol shifts have been changed.” Sam’s husky voice replied.

“… I’m upstairs, Sam.”

“What? Really?”

“Yes..” I rolled my eyes. “I’m with Lucy.”

“Oh.. wait.. Like.. With Lucy?”

“What? No!” I took a glance at my girlfriend, making sure I wasn’t too loud, “Not like that. I’m just with her.”

“Oh well whatever, just come down.”

I hung up without another word and stuffed the phone back in my pocket. I didn’t even know how I was going to get myself out of this position, but if Sam needed me down, I had to get my ass down there. After I successfully slid my arm out from under her, I made to move away but Lucy clung on to my shirt, pulling me back down. Fuck, I really didn’t want to leave her. I put my hand over hers and slowly eased it off before launching out of the bed quickly. Her face held a grimace as she held onto the pillow instead, clearly detecting through her sleep that I was no longer beside her. I picked up her legs and pulled the covers over her, tucking her in and placing a kiss on her forehead. Her skin was still icicle cold so I grabbed another quilt off her desk and placed it over her.

“I’ll be back soon.” I whispered, giving her another kiss and cupping her cheek.

She turned her face into my hand and let out a soft sigh to which I couldn’t help but smile.

When I got downstairs, everyone was there- actually, I had no idea what time it was. But judging by the looks of things, it was after dinnertime. Embry, Quil, Jared, Seth, and Paul were all thrown around on the couch and chairs in the living room while the sound of pots and pans clanging came from the kitchen.

“SETH! Didn’t I tell you to help?!” Emily yelled.

“NO!” He called back.

“Jake? You’re still here?” Embry asked when I stepped of the stairs.

What was it them? Where else would I have been. “Well my imprint almost drowned, so yes I was with her upstairs.”

“Lucy almost drowned?” Sam asked, coming from the hallway.

I nodded, “Didn’t they tell you?”

He shook his head, “No. I came back just in time for dinner and .. that’s it”