Taking It (Ch 25)

LUCY POV

When I got home, only Emily and Sam were there, sitting on the couch and enjoying their evening. They each asked me how things went and with that I could easily tell that they knew what Jake had taken me out to do. I simply walked past them and up the stairs ignoring their questions. I heard Emily mutter and “uhoh” before I shut my bedroom door and laid down across my bed.

Everything had just happened seemed so unreal. How the hell do I come back after being away from the people I considered family to find out something about them that’s so enormously huge? I felt like such a fool, recalling the last week and how they had all banded together to keep it all hidden from me. And their stupid excuses-

We call ourselves a pack

Puberty hit hard”

Helping Sam at the shop”—God knows what they were up to those days.

Working in the shop gives us these calluses so we can hardly feel anything

What bullshit. And I was just the idiot accepting it all and not even thinking twice about it. Ugh. This seriously sucks. The rain outside seemed to agree as it began to rain harder causing thumping noises on my window. Soon enough, just as I had expected, a knock sounded on my door before Emily walked in.

“I’m really sorry Em, But I really don’t want to talk to anyone.” I stated, still looking at the ceiling.

She sighed and sat down anyway. “We couldn’t tell you, Luce, because it was Jake’s secret to tell.”

“Oh, so it wasn’t your secret either? You didn’t know about it?” I tested back. “Whatever, fine. It was Jake’s secret. And he never told me.”

“When did you expect him to tell me?” Emily was now perched over me so she could see my face.

“Hm, maybe anytime I seemed to be around him- which was always for the past seventeen years.” I cleverly shot back.

“Seventeen years?” Emily looked confused. “Jake’s only known about this for three years.”

My angry expression immediately faded and a look of bewilderment crossed my face. “What do you mean.. three years?”

Emily rolled her eyes. “Did you even give him a chance to explain?” I looked away guiltily. She sighed. “Every boy.. or man phases at a different age. And they never know they carry the gene until that moment they change, unless of course they know about the symptoms beforehand.”

Oh. So he didn’t know about this all that long. “So Jake..phased.. three years ago? After I left?”

Emily nodded.

“Well three years is still a long time. He had plenty of opportunities to tell me.” I grudgingly replied. “Phones, letters, even a visit.”

I knew I was being difficult. But I still couldn’t shake off that hurting feeling about him hiding something from me. And the fact that he didn’t even go after me when I left. He didn’t even try. That saddened me a whole lot more. It even angered me a little. Why didn’t he go after me? I totally would have gone after me. Now I just sound crazy. I guess I Iooked it too because Emily’s face got closer to mine as she kept repeating my name.

“what’s gotten into you? You’re usually not this difficult.” She added.

I groaned, throwing my hands to my face. “I know.” It’s just that little annoying thought was growing and was pretty much consuming my mind. Was he really that willing to give up on me and what we could be? Because I knew I sure as hell wasn’t.