Not A Dream (Ch 27)

JAKE POV

Through my sleep I felt a small squirming beside me making me open my eyes and groan to the bright sunlight shining through the shudders. However as I looked away, I took in the beautiful girl sleeping beside me. Lucy’s face was pressed against my side, her head tucked right under my arm since it was wrapped around her small body. Her arms were clinging tightly to my torso and every so often she would move to snuggle further into me. That’s what woke me up, but I was glad. Now I could just sit lay here and watch her, nothing weighing down on me. She knew everything. And most importantly she accepted it all. The guys were right. It was worth it. I felt myself smile when Lucy began to mutter incoherent mumbles before settling down into quietness. I remembered this habit of hers. Lucy had always been a sleep mutterer. And I don’t mean sleep talker, because whatever she seemed to say were never comprehendible sentences. More like choppy words that were needed be put together. You could always tell if she was content, sad, worried, whatever it was she was feeling by what she did when she slept. And I loved it about her. Lucy had all these little quirks about her that others may have found strange while I just found them… what made my Lucy, Lucy. I carefully tightened my grip around her and thought of nothing else but her because all that was important right now was the girl in my arms.

“Jake..” she softly muttered beside me, her hand sliding up from resting against her chest, to resting against mine.

But she never awoke, she was dreaming about me again, and that thought never failed to make my chest fill with warmth. I slid my hand over her soft brown tendrils and cradled her head against my neck.

“I love you” I whispered into her ear and to my surprise that sweet smile of hers appeared on her still asleep face.

After a few more minutes, I unfortunately had to quickly and gently get out of the bed because I couldn’t hold myself away from the bathroom any longer- It’s been a long night and I didn’t get a chance to go before we fell asleep. Then again that really was the last thing on my mind. My eyes looked to the alarm clock at my nightstand on my way out of the room and found it to be about ten thirty in the morning. Em and Sam should be up already and the others would probably be going to breakfast in a half an hour or so. On Sundays we always started our days later- it was our easiest day of the week and we all took advantage of it. This also explained the quietness of the house- Billy had probably gone to Sue’s for breakfast and will probably spend the rest of the day over there. I really had no idea what was going on between those two, but I didn’t really want to dwell on it. When I went back to my room, Lucy was still fast asleep and I couldn’t help but notice that the sweatshirt I had given her to wear had risen up with her sleep and leg position, leaving really nothing for the imagination. I felt my cheeks heat up as my eyes settled on the black lace material peaking out right underneath the hem of the sweatshirt that was settled at her hips. Her flawless white legs were long, despite her height, leading to her tiny feet, one slightly off the edge of the bed. She was perfect- in every way the word can be taken. I stepped out of my testosterone-induced stupor when I saw a stiff shiver run through her. Her face cringed as her legs instinctively bent inward, putting her in a curled position. I immediately made a mental note to put some covers on the bed for nights when she stayed over (which I was hoping would happen quite often).

I quickly went over to the bed and slid in beside her, my arm around her again. Her eyes eventually fluttered open; those honey brown orbs looking up at the ceiling, nothing but confusion on her face. I watched in amusement as she took in her surroundings before she followed my arm up to my face. As soon as we made eye contact her eyes brightened up. And that smile started. That smile of hers that would make any man a fool for her. That smile that was one of the millions things that made me thank God she was mine. Yes. She was finally mine.