Ball And Chain (Ch 37)

LUCY POV

“Honestly.. When am I ever going to have to perform chromatography on a leaf?” Kim asked as we walked out of our biology class.

“Umm.. Say you get lost in the woods and wanted to find out which plant has the most pigment so you can use it to create your own solar energy plant?” I replied in a mockingly condescending tone. “duh.”

Kim stared at me, red lines from her safety goggles were etched deep into her cheeks and forehead. I would have made fun, but I probably looked the same way.

“That is so inaccurate,” she laughed, pushing me. “but nice bullshitting though. You pulled it off nicely.”

“Hah, Thanks.” I laughed, adjusting my bag over my shoulder.

“Oh here comes your boytoy.” She chimed as she turned the other direction to get to her next class.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to Jake who was leaned against the wall on the other side of the hallway. He had taken off his sweatshirt that he had on earlier and was sporting a dark brown t-shirt and jeans. He pulled himself away from the wall and placed his hands on either side of my face.

“Hey, bug.” He smiled widely, proud of the nickname he and Seth had given me last week after the last bio lab. Those damn goggles left big circle marks around my eyes (that apparently made me look like a bug) for hours. Stupid science.

“mm Funny.” I playfully punched his stomach.

He laughed and grabbed my hand as we started walking to the gymnasium for Phys Ed. By the way—gym is the worst class ever. It’s a legal form of punishment forced upon us by the district. Nobody except Kim the same way, though. Of course.

“So you and Alice seem to be hitting it off.”

He was right, we really were. All during English Alice had started conversation with me about anything under the sun. Mr. Maladeo had put in a film strip about Classic Literature and I don’t think he really expected us to pay too much attention. Even he was falling asleep as he tried to grade papers. Even in lunch, she came to sit with me for a bit which was slightly unusual and got a few stares from the other students. Little Alice Cullen sitting with the big guys.. and me.. But she didn’t even give them a glance. I found myself liking her more and more by the minute. She was so lively and carefree, and she even had a sarcastic sense of humor that I could easily relate to.; I had never met anyone so interested in becoming my friend for no benefit of their own. I was so used to the girls I had went to school and worked with- and they were absolutely nothing like Alice. You could never tell apart the backstabbers from the genuine ones; so I stayed clear of any females. But not with Alice.

“Yeah, she’s great.” I smiled. “Is she always that friendly?”

He laughed, “Oh yeah, but she also has a side to her that you wouldn’t expect.” He seemed to be remembering a particular moment, but continued, “Like she said, she’s been dying to meet you. Ever since Edward told her that I had imprinted.”

I know it may sound weird, but sometimes I forgot that Jake and I aren’t just boyfriend and girlfriend. Whenever he referred to me as his imprint, I couldn’t help but get this warm feeling in my heart. It just meant so much more than simply being his girlfriend.

“What are you smiling all silly about?” He pulled me out of my gaze.

“I’m your imprint. What isn’t there to smile about?” I pecked his cheek.

He laughed putting his arm around my neck and walking with me, “C’mon you goof.”

When we walked towards the locker rooms we found signs that told us to go straight into the gym where all the bleachers had been pulled out. Students were scattered all over them and the sound of chatter drowned out one of the coaches’ whistles and directions. Apparently there was some sort of conference or workshop that all of them had to attend so they were leaving us here. A bunch of high school student in a gym unsupervised. Sounds like a lovely idea.