Worry (Ch 33)

LUCY POV

And that’s when I got a sinking feeling that something wasn’t right.

The boys had been gone half an hour and I couldn’t shake off my feeling of dread. I stayed seated on the couch, curled in the corner, not paying attention to the television screen. My thoughts were occupying me and I tried to clear my head away from any of the bad ones. Maybe.. Leah was late to her shift? No.. That didn’t make sense. Paul wouldn’t have let her know two hours later. And the boys wouldn’t have rushed out like that. Jake had told me that there was a… vampire (God it was so strange to say that) coming back and forth. They’d been chasing him for nearly a month now, but he was too good and kept covering his own trail. Sam was getting more and more frustrated, not used to the idea that his pack wasn’t able to catch one measly vampire.

Maybe that’s why Paul called? He finally caught him and needed the others to.. dispose of him? However it was they did that.. But even if it’s that, I couldn’t help but think, if this vampire was so tricky to find and hunt down, what if he’s tricky to get rid of? What if he does something to one of them? What if it’s Jake?

I shook my head, blinking away the tears that threatened to come out. No. Stop thinking like that, Lucy. He’s fine. He’s invincible. He said he was. He’s fine. They all are.

My cell phone’s loud ringing forced me out of my thoughts and I was thankful. Kim’s name flashed across my screen and I quickly answered it.

“He—“

“LUCY!” Kim cut me off, her voice frantic.

“Kim, what’s wrong?”

“Jared I.. He’s on patrol right now. And did you hear the call? Did they come back yet? He said the leech was getting closer but do you think they caught him? I’m freaking the fuck out!” She quickly said, her voice cracking.

“Whoa, Kim. I-I don’t know. They haven’t come back. Jake the rest left—“

“What? I can’t hear you, you sound like you’re cutting off.”

I sighed, “I know, I’m sick. I’m losing my voice.”

“You’re losing your voice, you said?” She continued to shriek frantically.

I loved the girl. I really did. But her voice was giving me a bigger headache.

“Yes, Kim. And just calm down. Jared is going to be fine. Jake is going to be fine. They’re tough boys. It’s only been thirty two minutes.”

Yes I was counting.

“thirty three now..” She sighed.

And I guess so was she.

We stayed silent on the phone for a few seconds before she groaned. “I’m really worried, Lucy.”

“I know.” I nodded. “Me too. Just.. keep me posted if you learn anything. Anything, okay?”

“You too.”

We hung up and I stared at my phone for a bit. Talking to Kim did not help out my nerves. At all. She actually made everything worse. Her being so worried gave me even more of a reason to be thinking the thoughts I was.

I couldn’t take it. So I headed up the stairs to Emily and Sam’s room. The door was partially open so I let myself in. Emily had her window open for some odd reason so the room was all drafty. And I was freezing as it is so I decided to just wake her quick. After a few nudges she finally woke up with a jump which made me jump. I forgot how alike Sam and Em were. They both woke up like they were coming out of an exorcism.

“Lucy? What’s going on?’ Her voice was groggy as she laid on her side and ran her hand through her long loose hair.

“The boys left like forty minutes ago. It was an emergency and I’m freaking out.”

At this she quickly sat up and looked at me. “They’re all out?”

“Yeah.” I nodded.

“Ugh.” She leaned her head back on the headboard. “They’re going to be fine. Sam. Jake. All of them.” It seemed that she was trying to reassure herself more than she was me.

I took a seat at her feet and stared down at my nails. They were already starting to chip even though I had just painted them two days ago. “Does that mean it’s serious?” I knew the answer, but I asked anyway.

She nodded. “Yeah. It’s serious. But it probably means they finally got him and just needed backup.”

I bit my lip, still not completely convinced.

“Jake’s going to be fine. Don’t worry.”

“Maybe you’re---“

“LUCY! EMILY!”

We both looked to the door and back at each other before rushing down. Paul’s scream continued to echo through the house as he rushed from room to room looking for us. We ran down the stairs, nearly tripping over each other and finally stood at the landing, looking around for Paul. He rushed out of the kitchen, clad in only dirtied shorts. His skin was glistening with sweat and his hair was in disarray.

“Where do you keep your kit?!” He frantically asked, looking through one of the cabinets in the living room.

Emily shook her head, “what? What kit?!”

“the first aid kit!” He yelled, throwing all the books and trinkets aside, looking for it.

First Aid Kit. He said first aid Kit. Somebody was hurt. I knew it wasn’t Paul, obviously.

“Paul who is it? What happened?” I choked out, trying to be as loud as I could. But it still sounded like a whisper.

“WHERE is it Em?!” Paul shouted, getting more and more frenzied.

Emily quickly sprung into action and ran towards the kitchen, her hair a black curtain behind her.

“Paul, who was it?” I kneeled beside him. “Please.”

He looked up at me his dark hazel eyes looking straight into mine. His face was stagnant, but he opened his mouth to respond.

“Here!” Emily came back holding a large white case. “Do you need me?”

He grabbed it from her and shook his head. “No, Carlisle is on his way, we just need something to help stop the bleeding right now.”

I could feel my breathing get shallower. Bleeding. Somebody was bleeding. And apparently a lot, so much that they had to find a way to stop it.

Paul headed for the door but I stopped him from leaving by grabbing his arm.

“Paul, who is it?”

“He’s going to be okay.” He squeezed my shoulder and ran out the door.