Illegal Stress (Ch 4)

LUCY POV

The issue with Jake is that I seriously could not be mad at him. When he approached us outside his truck he has this adorable smile on his face as soon as he saw me that literally made my heart melt. And it was like all was forgotten. Until of course Bella and the Cullens happened to pass by us to get to their cars. Then the anger just returned. But it wasn’t anger towards Jake. After greeting me with a short kiss he took my bag and threw it in the bed of his truck before getting in his seat. Once again Seth called the front and thank God because I did not want to feel his squirming as he danced. As I sat jammed between Embry and Quil I let my mind wander.

This whole day, in my opinion, needed to be deleted. First it was the mental ownage brought on by the assembly this morning- and yes it was JUST this morning. Long ass day, huh? All day I had been anticipating to talk to Jake about his future plans and hopefully find out that they coincide with mine. Even if I didn’t have any as of now. At least for sure. But now I had to talk to him about this. I know I didn’t.. actually, shouldn’t start something so serious, but I knew that it would just continue to haunt me. And God knows what I would do when I next see Bella. Bitch.

“Poke her for me, will you?” Jake’s voice entered my thoughts before Quil’s harsh jab in my rib completely my pulled me away from my thinking.

“Ow!” I exclaimed, rubbing the inflicted spot. “Quil!” I pushed him off me.

“I said poke her not stab her” Jake leaned his arm back and punched Quil’s arm.

He only laughed in response, “She’s so weak!”

“I hate you.” I stated matter of factly.

“Hey, Jake is the one who was trying to get your attention for the past ten minutes.”

“Exaggeration.” I rolled my eyes, “What’d you need, Jake?”

He looked at me through the rearview and I didn’t have to see the rest of his face to know he was smiling.

“I was asking if you wanted to help me out with that English assignment”

I nodded, “Yeah of course. We’ll just do it at my place.”

Seth shook his head, “You should not let him rely on you like that. “

“Yeah? And I’m assuming your Spanish homework just did itself yesterday?” Jake retorted. “And besides I already get the first advantage.” He winked at me through the mirror and I couln’t help but laugh.

As I was about to answer a loud vrooming made us all turn to the left where a silver Volvo was speeding by us. It slowed down for a nano-second, even though it was a two way street and we could easily make out Edward’s smirk directed towards Jake.

“Stupid Cullen.” Jake rolled his eyes as the car sped past us, but I could feel him accelerating. “I can be over there by like six, is that good?”

I thought back to his weekly schedule almost sure that today he was free from any patrolling responsibilities. As I was about to ask him why he began to answer.

“Bella and I are partners for this history assignment. Do you guys have to do it too?”

And that was it. I didn’t even hear the others’ response to him. I didn’t care, all that I was paying attention to was the fact that my boyfriend was about to spend an evening with his ex-girlfriend slash thought-to-be-imprint slash reason for heartbreak. And it definitely wasn’t okay. Sure it may have been before I found out the atrocity that Seth had told me, but now? Hell no.

“So Luce, six?” Jake asked, bringing me back to focus.

“Yeah. That’s fine.”