Not Invincible (Ch 34)

LUCY POV

“Paul, who is it?”

“He’s going to be okay.” He squeezed my shoulder and ran out the door.

At that moment I felt like my throat had closed up. My breaths became shorter and cut off as my heart nearly froze in my chest. A creeping feeling ran up my chest, up my neck, and into my face making my heart pound even more.

“Emily” I turned to her only seeing her blurry figure through my teary eyes.

“Luce.” She pulled me into a hug. “Paul said he was okay.”

“No.” I shook my head, now sobbing. “Paul said he was going to be okay. And he was just trying to calm me down.”

“Shh Lucy. It’s okay.”

I pushed myself off of her. “It’s not okay, Em! Nothing is okay! Jake is out there bleeding and I just.. I.. I don’t know what to do.” I sat down on the stairs and held my head in my hands.

“Lucy. Listen to me. This isn’t the first time one of them got hurt while out there. He’s going to be fine just like he was fine all those other times. He’s going to be fine.” She repeated taking my head in her hands and making me look at her.

I nodded, sniffling. “I’m still worried.”

“I’ll get you a tissue”

Just then my phone rang with Kim’s name again. “Did you hear anything?” I asked immediately.

“No. Lucy. I’m getting this really unbearable sinking feeling. I feel like something happened to Jared. Did you hear anything?”

“Uh.. yeah..” I took the tissue from Em and blew my nose. “Jake got hurt but they’re helping him out.”

Kim gasped. “Oh my God. Lucy I’m sorry. I hope he’s okay.”

I started to cry again and nodded. “Me too. Listen I can’t really talk, but I’ll call you as soon as I hear anything.”

“Okay.”

I put my phone down and buried my head in my hands, letting my tears fall. I hope I was overreacting. I really did. Every fiber within me hoped to God that my tears were going to waste because Jake really was fine. And that he was just going to be walking in here with that same perfect smile on his face and that same perfectly flawless body completely unscathed.

An hour. The longest hour of my life. I sat there at the steps, staring at the door. Emily tried to get me to watch some television with her, but I refused. It was already ten at night and usually I would have been asleep by now because of my flu, with Jake right beside me. But I didn’t feel sleepy at all. Even if I had to wait until the next morning, I was willing to sit here and do just that.

However that wasn’t the case because at ten thirty, the door opened revealing Sam and Seth each at Jake’s side supporting him. I jumped up from where I sat and went to them.

“Jake!”

He seemed to be walking fine on his own; however his right shoulder and right ribs were bandaged up with white gauze. I stopped them from walking further and stood in front of him, stretching up to my toes and placing my hands on either side of his face. Although his face was contorted in pain, he offered me a smile and wiped a stray tear on my cheek with his thumb.

“What happened?”

“Hold on a sec Luce, let’s just get him to the couch.”

“I can get myself.” Jake let go of them both and walked over to Emily, a hand tightly pressed against his side.