Just a Normal Morning

"Mmf," you grunt the moment you wake up. Lazily you open your eyes, squinting at the bright light coming from the window. What time is it...? Looking around the room, you shield your eyes from the blinding sun as you search for a clock. "Tails what time is it?" you sleepily mumble with your eyes closed. Tails doesn't respond, so you hang over the edge of the bunk bed to view the lower bed. It is neatly made up. Clearly Tails had left the room while you had been sleeping.

        Ugh. You don't want to leave the comfort of the warm covers. Last night had tuckered you out both physically and mentally. That nightmare didn't help much either. An involuntary shiver crawls its way up your spine as you recall the cold touch of the black hedgehog. Suddenly the fluffy blankets surrounding you start to feel less pleasant as you remember yourself being squeezed. Wriggling your body out from under the covers, you feel for the ladder at the end of the bunk, grab hold of it, and heave yourself over the edge. That was not a good move, as you are still extremely groggy. With a yelp of surprise your muzzle slams into the soft carpet below. Luckily nobody is here to witness your clumsy fall. Rubbing your aching chin, you leave Tails' room and head to the bathroom to take a long-needed shower.

        Afterwards you are feeling quite refreshed and considerably more alert. Your fur smells of mint and your skin tingles. However the reasoning for that...being in a house with a residence of two boys, the only bottles lining the shower shelf had been labelled "Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo." You shudder at the thought that you had to touch the bottle, and you wonder how in the world a hedgehog could have this problem. Best not to look into it, you decide.

        Turning right you head further down the hall and into your room. Strolling over to the far corner of the room, you swing your arm out and seize the (f/c) shoes lying in a heap on the ground. As you lift them to your face you have on a reproachful look. The soles are partway melted. A flashing image of fire and smoke reminds you how that had happened. You wish for new shoes. Maybe that will help with forgetting about the terrible incident. With eyes narrowing in determination, you slip the melted shoes on and race down the stairs to tell the guys of your plan.

        Reaching the bottom, you are greeted with the sight of a perfectly spotless TV room. Last night there had been broken glass scattered under the window. Who cleaned that up already? you wonder. The delicious aroma wafting from the kitchen answers that question. Eggs and bacon! Drool begins to drip from your mouth as you remember their flavors from so long ago. With a joyous skip you land into the kitchen and see Tails at the stove, frying eggs and sizzling bacon.

        "Good morning! You seem pretty happy today," Tails gives a big grin. Nodding your head, you can't help but stare at that bacon, yearning for its savory flavor to be in your mouth at that moment. The fox cub catches you eyeing the meal and he laughs, "It's almost ready!" Pleading eyes meet his. Tails shakes his head, a smile still on his face. "Maybe if you wake Sonic breakfast will be finished by then." You can take a hint. Dashing out of the kitchen, you hear a quick "Thanks!" before going back upstairs.

        Your hand hovers over the doorknob leading to Sonic's room. You really want to hurry and get back downstairs to eat, but something is holding you back. A look of worry shows through your features. I can't just disturb someone while their sleeping! What if Sonic doesn't want me in his room? You decide to just knock instead.

        Of course, last night you had realized that both Sonic and Tails are very deep sleepers, and the silence behind the door confirms it. With an exasperated sigh you open the door a crack, peeking with one eye to view the inside. It's pretty dark. Sonic must have very thick curtains blocking out the harsh morning sunlight. Slowly squeaking the door open, you whisper Sonic's name from the doorway, still not wanting to step into the room.

        "Soonniicc..." you whine. "Come on, breakfast is ready and I'm really hungry."

        Sonic rolls over in the bed to face you. His eyes are still closed, but he is mumbling words under his breath. He must be having an intense dream. Cautiously you stride into his bedroom until you arrive by his bedside. The sleeping blue hedgehog begins to mutter more frantically, tightly clutching at the blankets within his fists. Hesitantly you hold out your hands and place them on Sonic's side to lightly shake him awake.

        "DON'T YOU DARE!" an angry shriek emits from the hedgehog's mouth as he suddenly sits up on the bed. You immediately tear up from fright as Sonic grabs your shoulders with a startling fierceness. He holds you in an inescapable grip when his eyes finally open. Shock reflects in both emerald and (e/c) eyes. Sonic releases you with a stunned gasp and you instantly back away from him. "(Y/n)! I'm so sorry," he babbles. "I swear I thought...I think..." He gazes at you with shame, the usual tan color of his face now resembling that of a raspberry red. You know he didn't mean it on purpose; he had been asleep after all.

        You lightly whisper from across the room, "It's alright Sonic, you were just having a nightmare."

        The hedgehog doesn't look very relieved, seeing the slight glint of fear still flashing in your eyes. He lifts himself off the bed and gently approaches you, stopping a couple feet away to give you some space. "Believe me, I would never hurt you or any friend of mine." You nod then light grasp his elbow to lead him downstairs. Sonic allows himself to be pulled, still ashamed of himself for scaring you.

        Breakfast is passing by rather uneventfully. Both you and Sonic choose to keep quiet on the subject of the nightmare, deciding that you would rather enjoy the morning than include Tails in on the awkwardness. There is little discussion other than the fact that the remaining emeralds need to be more secured.

        "We can go to town after breakfast to buy a safe," Tails suggests. Sonic agrees, and you are to tag along too. It would be a great opportunity to get some new shoes.

      "Maybe we should get a burglar alarm as well," Sonic says. "Keep those burglars at bay, eh?" He winks at you with a humorous smirk. You sigh and roll your eyes, trying to focus on your bacon than the amused glances aimed your way. The thought of being in the public begins to worry you. Hopefully you have traveled far enough from Aldenwise City to not be recognized.