Chased by a Shadow

Now that you are alone you wander around the house, searching for some sort of relaxing activity. You first head for the three large bookcases in the living room; you continue your search for (F/b) since there are so many books on the shelves, but after looking through one whole bookcase you grow bored and give up. Also in this room, near the large open windows, is your painting of the (f/a) that still rests upon its easel. A streak of paint still goes across the (f/a)'s features, making you sigh in disappointment. It wasn't very good anyway... Scrunching your face together you pull the ruined painting from the easel and trash it, along with the garbage scattered across the floor.

        There is not really anything else to do in this house except watch TV, but your eyelids are slightly drooping with exhaustion. Perhaps you will take a nap. Glancing at the kitchen window you can see rays of sunshine beam in. With a little smile you stroll out the front door and sit beside it with your back against the wall of the house. Your claws rake through the soft green grass that sparkles in the sunshine. Closing your eyes you allow the warmth to drift you into a comfortable snooze.

        "Look what we have here. A little (y/a) sleeping peacefully on a pleasant afternoon."

        The strange, raspy voice awakens you from your dreamless nap. You lift you heavy eyelids open and look up in confusion to see a black and red hedgehog towering over you. Your heart leaps into your throat as you gape at the hedgehog in wide-eyed terror. Glaring crimson eyes stare down at you before turning into a wicked smirk.

        "Why don't you be a good girl and open up the safe of emeralds for me?" Shadow requests gruffly. Closing your gaping mouth, your eyes begin to burn in resentment for the hedgehog. There is no way you are going to let down your friends and allow this bully to take the Chaos Emeralds from you! Although you knew where Tails had kept a slip of paper telling of the safe's combination, you are not going to open it!

        "No," you blankly state, failing to bring some confidence into your answer. The black hedgehog gives a single, mocking bark of laughter before returning to glare at you.

        "I saw you running today," he softly mutters. Red and (e/c) stare daggers at each other in the few moments of silence.

        Suddenly Shadow lunges forward to seize your arm. You don't even have time to yelp as he pulls out a green Chaos Emerald. When you spot green glinting in the sunlight, a rush of adrenaline shoots through your muscles and causes your reflexes to instantly slap it away. The emerald flies out of Shadow's grasp and rolls in the grass a few feet away. A growl emits from the black hedgehog's throat before you have to dodge as he tries to wrap an arm around your head. While he stumbles from your unexpected escape, you leap around and kick him from behind. As Shadow rams headfirst into the white wall, you rush over to the emerald and retrieve it, racing away from the house and toward the forest.

        Your mind is becoming numb from the fear. You can barely think. The blurry green lines of the sun-lit forest do their best to calm down your panicked state. Eventually you are able to think well enough to press the communication button on your watch.

        "Sonic...Tails!" you say in a tiny, frightened voice while gasping for breath as you run. Two concerned voices cut out each other as your friends both press their radios at once. You can't wait very long, you must tell them what's going on now! "Sh-Shadow's here!" you screech to the watch.

        Strange whooshing noises come from behind, making your ears twist around. A quick glance over your shoulder shows you the sight of the black and red striped hedgehog in pursuit. Your eyes widen in fear at how near he is. How did he catch up so fast? Can he run like Sonic too?! Bright lights coming from his shoes catch your eye, and you see that the hedgehog is not even touching the ground.