True Friendship

You are running to Sonic's house, leaving Shadow behind in the dust. Only once you look back, satisfied that the ominous hedgehog is not following. Many strange and confused thoughts are whirling around in your head, making you dizzy. You really meant it when you had said you don't know what to think anymore. It's as if the world has decided to make your life a misery.

        "Ugh," you softly groan, closing your eyes against the blurring green trees. Why does everything have to be so confusing?

        Few minutes have passed and you are already approaching the silhouette of the grand white mansion. Slowing down just a little, you decide to take your time and enjoy the evening light before getting chewed out by your friends. Hesitantly, you tiptoe to the front door and rest your palm around the handle. You twist the knob just slightly and open the door as quietly as possible...but apparently not quiet enough. While you are just peeking through the crack, the handle suddenly lurches from your grip as the door swings open with a loud shriek. You freeze on the spot, caught completely by surprise.

        "So, (Y/n) the (Y/a), where did you go?"

        A blue figure blocks the doorway, its arms crossed and one foot tapping in a quick and blurry motion. An innocent smile creeps onto your lips as your eyes flick between the blue hedgehog and the loud TV playing commercials behind him. Crap. Sonic must have been sitting right in front of the TV. There would have been no way to sneak past that hedgehog.

        Sonic pulls you in through the doorway just as you hear the door to the garage opening. Looking to the right you see Tails climbing the stairs with a toolbox in hand, his head lowered down as he tries not to bang the box on the steps. Once he does lift his head, however, the fox stops in shock, his mouth hanging wide open. His hands seem to go limp as the beloved toolbox falls from his grasp and crashes down the stairs until a metal clank tells that it has come to a stop against the heavy door.

        "(Y-Y/n)! You're..." The boy trails off in a daze when the TV in the back of the room becomes louder. The three of you turn your heads to see the news channel playing.

        "There is still no sign of the young (y/a) who has been missing for almost five months now," a female skunk reports, her eyes directed straight into the camera. "Authorities believe that the girl is still in hiding within the city. If anyone knows of (Y/n) the (Y/a)'s whereabouts, please contact the Aldenwise City Police." The skunk disappears from view as the scene changes to a man sitting in an office chair within a formal-looking room.

        "Our hearts are with this frightened girl. Thank you, Amelia Stripe."

        The TV screen suddenly shuts off and you jerk your head to the side as you spot Sonic throwing the remote control onto the couch. Both Sonic and Tails stare at you with unreadable expressions written upon their faces. Unfortunately, your face isn't as unreadable as theirs. It is extremely red, with (e/c) eyes wide open and ears drooping. Taking a few steps back you reach behind to feel for the doorknob, not able to take your eyes off of the scrutinizing stares. As your fingers curl around the metallic door-handle, the boys then crowd around you, making it impossible to escape.

        "Why didn't you tell us you were a missing person, (Y/n)?" Tails fearfully whispers.

        Taking a gulp of air you look between the sky blue and emerald green eyes trained on you. "Uh... Uh, I...I didn't think anybody noticed that I had...left..." You look down, shame burning holes into the carpet.

        The room is silent. With a quick glance up you can see that Sonic and Tails are deep in thought, sad expressions reflecting in their eyes. This feels worse than if the two were angry with you. You don't want your friends to be sad.