"Friends"

"Vanilla called saying you needed some help!" Looking over your shoulder you watch as Amy daintily steps into the living room to hover beside the couch where Sonic is seated at. She spots you sitting on the floor among Cream's toys and she giggles. "I knew you were young...I just didn't know you were that young!"

        Your ears lie flat on your head in humiliation as the pink hedgehog makes fun of you. Instead of pointing your anger at her, you glare at the floor. Sonic is just about to defend you—however Amy quickly scuttles out the door. She returns with a large red toolbox in hand, dangling it in the air with a devious look on her face. Almost instantly Tails' ears perk up and he hops off the couch, heading for the toolbox.

        "Thanks," he gratefully says as he trots out the house with the red box. Before the pink hedgehog can lay her eyes on Sonic, he jumps up as well, following his friend.

        "Yeah thanks Ames...I'll just go help Tails with the Hurricane!" He speeds outside with a quick wave, leaving a blue blur trailing behind. Way to go Sonic. Leaving me alone with...her. You sigh as Amy stares at the doorway with both hands on her hips.

         "Hmph!"

        "Isn't Sonic such a helpful person?" Cream declares with shining brown eyes.

        "Chao chao," Cheese agrees.

        The pink girl crosses her arms and plops herself onto the couch. She mutters with a frown, "He's always so busy! We never get to spend any quality time together." Amy then notices your avoiding gaze as you kneel on the floor. "So (Y/n), you and Sonic are just friends...right?"

        Oh great. Your eyes dart between Amy and Cream, as your cheeks become increasingly heated. Why would she think that we are not just friends? "Um...w-well yeah, I haven't actually known Sonic for...f-for very long," you stutter, still embarrassed of the thought. Amy's emerald eyes become noticeably brighter as her lips stretch into a wide smile.

        "Well then, I suppose we can be friends since you aren't chasing after my boyfriend!" She sticks her right hand in front of your face, encouraging a friendly shake. You take the hedgehog's gloved hand and give it a rough shake. "Ow!" Amy squeals. "You need to watch your claws!" Her hand pulls back as she massages the dents your overgrown nails have left.

        "Sorry," you apologize, grinding your teeth together in disgrace. Amy sees your expression and rolls her eyes.

        "It's fine! Maybe one day I'll take you to a spa to get those dangerous claws fixed!" The pink girl giggles and swiftly pulls you into a tight embrace, squeezing all the air from your chest. Now you know how Sonic feels!

        While you are gasping for breath you can hear Vanilla's pleased chuckle from the kitchen. "I think you two girls are going to get along just great!"

        The unexpected sound of a swinging door causes you to be dropped to the floor. You carefully pick yourself up off the floor as you see a blue hedgehog dash in. "Hey girls! Tails and I need a little help. Anyone up for gettin' a little greasy?" He aims a mischievous grin toward Amy as she shrieks in disgust.

        "Ew, no! I am not getting my new shoes dirty!" Sonic carelessly shrugs in her direction, but his smile returns when you rapidly nod your head and race over to him.

        "Yeah, I'll help," you mumble, adding with a whisper, "Don't leave me with her again..." The boy instantly covers his mouth with both hands as he tries to hold back a burst of laughter. He then skitters to the front door with you following. You take care to give sweet Cream and annoyed Amy a small wave.

        Once outside with the door firmly shut, Sonic removes his hands and falls off walkway, rolling about the grass in hysterical laughter. You just stand and watch, rubbing your temples with both hands as the hedgehog makes a fool of himself.

        "What's so funny?" you hear Tails call from the driveway.

        "AHAHAHAHA...HEHAHAH-HEEEH...AMY!! AHAHA!" With a groan you result to feebly kicking the blue ball as it rolls around in the grass, trying to make it be quiet. "Okay, okay! I've got—hehe...I've got a hold of myself!" Sonic huffs as he clenches his stomach. Taking a big gasp of air he uses your arm to pull himself off the ground and props himself up on your shoulder. He stares into your (e/c) eyes and instantly becomes frozen.

        What the? Rolling your eyes you shove him off and stroll over to the damaged Hurricane.

        "Hey Sonic, are you helping or not?" Tails asks, peering around one of the large wheels of the machine.

        Looking over your shoulder you see that Sonic has not moved an inch. He looks as if he is contemplating something pretty important. A moment later you see him shake his head as his frozen expression turns to a fake smile. "Yeah. Comin' buddy.

        For the next two hours the three of you are crouched on the oil-slicked asphalt, repairing the jagged gash in the Hurricane's fuel tank.

        Your ride home is now fixed. You feel quite proud of yourself for helping out with such a laborious task. Sonic and Tails both give you a pat on the back as you return their gazes with eyes shining in pride. Some oil and grease had gotten caught in your soft fur, but you know that it will be out after a thorough washing. The stickiness still bothers you just a little as your shoes begin to stick to the driveway.

        Tails heads for the front door and you follow him as Sonic stays behind to double check that all the screws and molds are extra tight. As the young fox twists the doorknob you get slapped in the face by his two fluffy tails. You twitch your head in irritation and spit out the white fur that got caught on your lips.

        "Oh, sorry!" Tails snickers when his twin tails whack your face again, this time on purpose. Before you can react he races to the safety of the living room with a small, excited squeak. You slowly shake your head and follow the fox inside. "Well everyone," you hear Tails announce, "the Hurricane is back and charged! Thanks for the extra fuel Amy." Amy nods with a smile. "Now I think it's time that Sonic, (Y/n), and I head out," Tails finishes.

        Cream is slightly saddened and she approaches you with large, pleading eyes. "You'll come back to visit us, right?"

        You smile at the sweet little girl. "Of course Cream."

        The rabbit's pet chao joyously flies around your head with a high, "Chao chao!"

        "Oh, (Y/n)," you look up as Vanilla speaks your name. "Maybe one day you can look after my little Creamy, seeing you get along so well with younger children." Hmm...I have definitely never babysat before...but it could help me to get out more! Cream hops in place and claps her little hands as you give a nod of agreement to the adult.

        "Alright! We best be going then...see you everyone!" You jolt with surprise as Tails grabs your arm and pulls you out the door. "I really want you to see my workshop," he explains, excitement clearly shown on his young face.

        "Are we off now, Tails?" Sonic asks as he hauls Amy's toolbox to the side of the driveway.

        The fox nods then makes a beeline for his pilot seat, climbing over the ledge of jet to get inside. Crouching low to the ground you summon up all your strength to put into a large spring, griping the Hurricane's side before you can slip off. You then swing yourself over the edge into the very back seat of the machine. You'd rather not have Sonic leaning over your seat again. Hearing a slight grunt the jet shifts a little as the blue hedgehog lands into the seat in front of you. The glass roof of the Hurricane lowers to the rest of the body as Tails revs up the engine. You quickly buckle yourself in as the jet takes off, completely forgetting about the fact that you get airsick every time you step into a plane.