Nature

Dinner at Amy's was delicious, but now you want to go home. Apparently sleeping half the day away is a cause for night to crawl out.

        "You ready to go, (Y/n)?" Sonic asks, after you had been staring out the dining room window for about five minutes. You turn to the hedgehog with a nod and he jumps from his chair. "See ya later Tails and Amy! I'm gonna drop (Y/n) off!" Sonic exclaims with a wave.

        The two reply back and the hedgehog gives you a thumbs up. You both race out the door and into the wilderness surrounding Emerald Town, heading in the direction of the ocean. You absolutely love the feeling of the cool wind brushing through your (y/c) fur and the beauty that nighttime can bring to the scenery. Usually one would be frightened of the long, casting shadows filling the forest. Danger could be hidden anywhere in the dark. However, with your slight night-vision, you believe the sight to be beautiful and mysterious. Sonic doesn't seem to share your love for the dark, unfortunately. He keeps dodging trees when they are only a foot in front of his face, since he is unable to see as well as you.

        "Oh geez! Ohh! That was close! AHH! ...whew..." You openly smirk at the hedgehog, knowing that he would not be able to see. He does see your (e/c) eyes glowing in the dark though. "What are you lookin' at?" he huffs.

        You shrug but then nervously glance away when Sonic continues to stare. Out of the corner of your vision you watch him shake his head, as if breaking from a trance. You don't notice the tree straight in his path. He doesn't either. Without warning you hear a loud thump and a muffled squeal, and turn to see that Sonic has disappeared. Score 2 for the tree! you giggle, remembering back to the first time Sonic had "met" with a tree trunk. You make a quick U-turn and gradually come to a stop beside the grumbling hedgehog.

        "Ugghh... What are those, flying saucers..?" he moans while lying face-up in the grass.

        "No," you state matter-of-factly. Crouching to one knee you hold out a hand and Sonic takes it. When pulled up he stumbles just a little, rubbing his forehead.

        "Maybe I'll get Tails to make me some night-vision goggles..." he mumbles.

        A noise echoes across the land, freezing you and Sonic in place. It sounds wild...and very familiar. "(F/a)!" you shriek in excitement, instantly covering your mouth afterwards. It sounds so near... I really want to see it! Your (y/c)-furred body shivers in excitement, causing you to gain an amused grin by Sonic.

        "Wanna check it out?" the hedgehog suggests. Still staring out into the forest, you give him a swift nod. "Well, lead the way ya wild (y/a)!" At the command you take off in a sprint, heading straight in the direction of the (f/a) noises. You can hear Sonic following behind at a more careful pace. He doesn't want to crash into any more trees tonight.

        The sound of the (f/a) is extremely close now. You sneak through the forest, whipping your head back and forth in an effort at spotting the creature in the dark. Eventually you detect a dark silhouette among the landscape. Falling to the ground, you gesture behind for Sonic to do the same. Then the two of you crawl behind a thick tree to hide from the animal. Peeking around the trunk you observe as the wild (f/a) roams around, sniffing at the ground and the air.

        You and Sonic stay hidden for a while, just watching the creature go about its natural life. Soon you are too engrossed in the sight to realize that the (f/a) is approaching nearer. Hide! you tell yourself. Too late—the (f/a) has spotted you. It freezes and glances between you and Sonic, assessing its current situation. You are frightened that the animal might run away or attack. Holding your breath, you watch as it creeps toward you.

        "(Y/n)," Sonic whispers in a worried tone.

        He reaches a gloved hand and feebly tugs at your shoulder. You stay put as the (f/a) comes to a stop only a foot away. The creature doesn't seem to be aggressive or frightened. Its head stretches forward to consider your Mobian scent. You are as still as possible. A few moments pass and it seems that this wild animal has accepted you as a non-threatening being. It cocks its head to the side and makes a small noise. Recognizing this as a happy sound, you allow a smile to leap onto your face. Carefully you set a hand on the (f/a)'s head, and it appears to enjoy this contact. Sonic stands by with an awed expression. He grins and shuffles near, stroking the (f/a) alongside you. I'm petting a (f/a)! you screech in your mind. Never have you thought this would happen.

        The animal leans into your touch and you quietly mumble, "Aww...now I really wish I had a pet." Sonic chuckles and slides his fingers between the (f/a)'s ears.

        "A pet is a lot of responsibility you know."

        "Yes...and I'm not a very responsible person..." you sadly nod.

        "Why do you say that?" he asks, taking his hand off the animal and giving you a confused look.

        Shrugging, you continue to pat the head of the (f/a), leaving the question unanswered. You fully well know the reason. Pursing your lips together you remember being given the responsibility of Cream's babysitter, and how you had failed in your job. Because of your inability to protect the little girl both you and her had been kidnapped and forced to stay in that dreary, frozen cabin... A depressed sigh leaves your mouth and Sonic eyes you with concern.

        You tell him, "I think I'm ready to go home now."

        He nods and the two of you give the (f/a) a last stroke, before jogging off into the night. From behind you can hear an extra set of footsteps following, and you twist your head around to see the animal racing to keep up. However it soon becomes lost in the distance from your super speed. Your heart jolts in agony at the shrill cry ringing in the air. You would know this emotion anywhere; a cry of loneliness.