The Intruder

Sonic instantly recovers from his shock and glares at his dark counterpart in pure hatred, teeth bared. You, however, are numb with fright. The little pitter-patter of your heart feels as if it has reached its maximum, making you feel faintly dizzy.

        Shadow aims a smirk your way, a malicious gleam in his eye. The way he looks at you causes Sonic's anger to rise. He furiously snarls at the black hedgehog. "What do you think you're doing here? Just leave her alone!" The blue hedgehog is returned with a contemptuous sneer.

        "The (y/a) was supposed to be helping me with something. It seems she was unable to hold her side of the bargain."

        Sonic looks confused at you, just allowing a few moments to take his eyes off of the intruder. Sadness fills his eyes. "Is that why you wanted me to leave so badly?"

        You glance panicked between the blue and the black hedgehog, small whining sounds leaving your open mouth as you fought to find words of explanation.

        Shadow scornfully chuckles. "That's too bad. It seems that I will have to be rid of this blue imbecile before I have you give me the combination."

        "No way, Shadow!" A flash of blue races across your vision, in the direct path of the black and red hedgehog.

        The fight has just begun.

        Instead of a thudding contact against a body, Sonic crashes into the couch and topples over it. You hear a mocking snort before a spiky black ball bounces into the air and rams into Sonic's back, causing a single shriek of pain and anger. The blue hedgehog twists around with the spinning darkness held between two hands, grunting as his shoes slide across the carpeted flooring from the force. Eventually Sonic is backed up against the TV stand, where he then uses a burst of energy to throw back the spinning black hedgehog and dodge out of the way as it smashes the TV screen.

        Flinching at the sharp noise, you back further away from the fight with your ears flattened and muscles tense. What do I do?! Your skin is becoming hot and sweaty as a sharp pain enters through your heart. The panic has caused you an anxiety attack. The hedgehogs, however, are oblivious to your presence as they take their fist-fight into the next room over.

        "You can't keep those emeralds safe, Sonic!" an infuriated bellow echoes throughout the house. "You are much too irresponsible and overconfident!"

        There is an angry grunt, then the sound of something soft thumping into a wall. With the anxiety attack passed, you race through the archway just in time to see Sonic backed up against the far wall of the living room, with Shadow holding a red Chaos Emerald and one hand outstretched toward him.

        "Chaos Spear!" A golden light emits from the black hedgehog's hand. He throws the light like you would a target dart, the light splitting into multiple daggers and aiming straight for Sonic.

        "AHHH!" Your stomach lurches at the disturbing screams. Oh Chaos!!! Using your speed you tackle Shadow from behind as Sonic painfully stumbles away, clutching at his belly. "No (Y/n), get back!" the blue hedgehog shouts in fear as you and Shadow tumble along the floor and come to a stop against the fireplace.

        The black and red hedgehog then rips you away, throwing you into a bookcase across the room. He springs to his feet, eyeing both you and Sonic with lips curled over his glinting white teeth. With a quick glance at Sonic you can see that he is standing tall. The Chaos Spear didn't seem to leave any marks on his body. The boy gives a determined nod to tell you that he is alright. You are still going to help him of course! Sonic can see that as well. He gives you a hesitant nod of encouragement, and the two of you dash straight for Shadow's figure.

        You and Sonic pummel the intruding hedgehog. Even with his Chaos Emerald, he is still no match for two abnormally speedy Mobians. Sonic eventually knocks the red emerald from his grasp as you try and dodge Shadow's swift kicks. He lands a forceful blow to your chest, throwing you a couple feet backward to land on your back. Before you can pick yourself up, however, Sonic has spin-dashed into the black hedgehog and forced him into a corner. You hear as the two growl and grunt, one in anger and one in pain. Your eyes flash fearfully since you don't know who is making which sound. Rushing toward the hedgehogs, you halt in surprise when the fighting suddenly ceases.

        Shadow is slouching, his back propped up against the corner of the living room. He is gasping for air, flinching in pain at the many bruises and cuts scattered about his face, torso and limbs. Standing proudly before him is your blue friend, Sonic. He sees as a bloody gloved hand slowly reaches for the Chaos Emerald that had rolled near during the fight. Sonic swiftly kicks the gem out of reach and glares down at his defeated enemy.

        Your eyes widen at the sight. You had never thought that one so terrifying and powerful could actually be overcome. Crimson eyes meet your astonished (e/c) eyes and give you poisonous glare. A large blue head leans down and blocks the hateful eyes from view.

        "You won't be hurting anyone else, Shadow," you hear a low, ominous whisper. "And now I'm going to kill you...even if you are the 'Ultimate Lifeform.'" Sonic lifts his head away, revealing the red eyes blazing in defiance. Although he lies defeated, Shadow will not die without showing that faker how much he absolutely despises him. Without another word, Sonic grips his large quills and rolls himself into a ball, spinning in place to increase his speed.

        Shadow... He says he just wants to protect the power of the emeralds...but then why does he act so cruel? What can I believe...? Your eyes fill with sadness and confusion as you argue amongst yourself. The smell of something burning awakens you from your conflict, and you look up to see tiny wisps of smoke rising from the sand-colored carpet where Sonic continues to raise his speed for a death blow. I don't...Is he telling the truth? I-I don't know! You must go with your gut.

        "Sonic NO!"

        The piercing shriek reverberates inside your skull and around the room. Sonic instantly stops spinning and trips over the burnt spot he had left in the carpet. Out of the corner of your eye you see Shadow swiftly get to his knees and lunge for the red emerald. "Chaos Control!"

        He is gone within an instant.

        "What...did...you...do?" You gaze at Sonic in alarm as you see him tense in anger. The blue hedgehog runs to you and places his hands on your shoulders, slightly shaking back and forth. "Why are you protecting him?!" Salty tears sting your eyes as you realize how your friend is handling you. Your mouth gapes open, trying to form words, yet nothing can come out. Sonic narrows his eyes in fury and confusion. "Shadow kidnapped you and he just broke into my—our house! He was going to use you to get the Chaos Emeralds!"

        Tears glisten down your (y/c) fur. You aren't exactly sure why you stopped Sonic from...hurting...Shadow. Maybe you just didn't want to watch as someone's life left their body. Maybe you actually believe that Shadow could be telling the truth and has good motives. Whatever the reason may be, Sonic might never trust me again. This thought causes you to let out a miserable whimper as the tears freely roll down.

        "I'm sorry." Your friend's expression softens a little and he releases his tight grip from your shoulders. "I need...I need some time to think." You lightly push the hedgehog away and clumsily pelt for the front door. You don't hear any pursuing footsteps as you squeeze through the already-opened gap and slam the door shut.

        The forest calls for you, and you don't disappoint it. Silently you race away into darkening woods, putting as much space as you can between you and Sonic.

        Have I ruined my friendship?