Off to Sea!

The week seems to pass by in no time at all. You and your friends had worked on Sonic and Tails' new home the entire time. Just as Sonic had said, it is turning out really, really large! You can already see it becoming another mansion, just like the last one, but even bigger. Throughout the week you occasionally wondered about Shadow, if he's still wandering around, injured... Luckily this morning the guys called, deciding to take a break from construction.

        "Hi (Y/n)!" Tails calls from the home phone. "Do you want to do something today? Maybe head out to the workshop and check out a few of my inventions?" You smile at his enthusiastic voice, but slowly shake your head, even though he can't see.

        "I think I'll spend the day alone if that's alright, Tails," you say.

        He replies, "Okay, be careful," and then hangs up.

        You set the cordless phone back on its stand and stretch your jaws in a wide yawn. Tails had called pretty early in the morning, and you are still a bit drowsy. Nodding to yourself, you head into the living room and lounge on the couch, quickly falling asleep. When you awaken an hour later you feel much more refreshed. You stretch your arms high into the air, grunting just a little from the snaps of your bones. Afterwards you find yourself in the bathroom, brushing your fur to get ready for the day, even though you shouldn't be seeing anybody today.

        In the mirror you notice your image, but instead of shying away, you actually peer at it curiously. Instead of seeing a frightened little girl, you see a strong (y/c) (y/a). You notice the (y/a)'s (e/c) irises aren't as dull-looking as they used to be, that they reflect strength and wisdom. Perhaps destiny played itself out the way it did for you to learn and grow in experience about the world. If you had continued to stay in Aldenwise City, in school, you would have never learned as much. With a light heart you tug on your shoes and head outside to the white beach.

        The salty breeze washes over you, the almost-risen sun gives off an enjoyable glow of warmth. Humming to yourself you journey along the beach in search of shells and pretty rocks. At some point you find a conch shell half buried in the sand. Cautiously you pick it up, worried that there might be a crab inside. Turning it over and peering into its opening, you see no sign of pinchers or long eyestalks. You smile and place the shell over your ear, listening for that "ocean" sound that Sonic had talked about. Surprisingly you do hear a sound, but it feels more like an echo instead of crashing waves. Shrugging, you grip the conch tightly and carry it around with you along the beach.

        Around midday you come across a long, flat piece of driftwood washed upon the shore. It reminds you of something that you had once seen on TV, but never had seen in person. It looks like a surfboard... Hey! Maybe I can try surfboarding! An excited squeak leaves your mouth as you set the conch shell down and approach the large piece of wood. You grasp the edge of it in your fingers and are surprised at the light weight. The driftwood is so long, you had expected it to be extremely heavy. With a smile you pick it up under your arm, carrying the wood as a surfer would. You slowly wade into the ocean. Although knowing you can't swim, you aren't worried at all because...surfing isn't swimming, right? If you wipeout you can just hold onto the board and kick back to shore.

        Salty water spins around your hips and you decide that you have traveled far enough into the ocean. With a little difficulty you heft yourself into the driftwood and lie on your stomach, arms dangling over the sides. A wave splashes into your face and you flinch, coughing a bit. You are too close to the shore to surf properly. The waves here are just a bit too strong to where they keep pushing you back to land. Summoning your strength, you kick out full-force and use your arms to guide yourself deeper into the sea.

        Feeling that you are far enough out to surf back to shore, you use your legs and attempt to twirl the driftwood around. It's a bit easier to spin around here, since the waves aren't crashing against you. You hold on tightly to the edge of the board, about to kick out toward land, when you hear a strange buzzing. Frowning, you look around but see nothing. Then you lift your head up. Chaos, not you! you angrily hiss at the round, silver machine hovering in the air.

        Doctor Eggman. The nerve.

        "Oh ho, ho, ho!" A boisterous laughter echoes across the serene ocean landscape. You see a bald head and dark blue glasses bobbing along with a gigantic moustache. The man leans over the edge of the machine and gives you a sinister grin. "What is the darling young (y/a) doing in the middle of the ocean?" He turns to the two robots standing on each side of him. "Boys, I believe this girl may need some assistance!" The silver and gold robots give you saddened looks.

        "Aww, but Doctor! Do we have to?" Bocoe whines.

        Doctor Eggman growls and yells at his henchmen, "INCINERATE THE LITTLE MONSTER!"

        In a frantic manner the two robots slam a few buttons. Instantly red lasers shoot out of the machine, straight for you. Yelping you roll into the water as quickly as possible, just dodging the burst of red-hot fire that explodes the makeshift surfboard. You stay underwater with a hand closing your nostrils, hoping that the scientist thought you to be dead. From under you hear a burbling laughter, and eventually see the blurry, silver machine fly away.

        The second the Eggmobile is out of view you struggle to kick up to the surface. When you head breaks out you gasp in a deep breath and begin to flail. You are thrashing around, doing your best to keep your head above the waves. Why can't I swim?! you demand to yourself. Fortunately for you, a single plank of wood bumps into the back of your head. You spin around and cry in relief, clutching at the small plank. Although it is burning hot from the explosion, you don't let go. The heat singes the fur from your fingers just a little, before the ocean water can finally cool it down. Shaking the water from your face, you twirl around in the direction of shore. An appalled expression leaps onto your face. Land is so far away!

        Before you float any further, you hold the wooden plank in a vise-like grip and kick your feet. Almost immediately the plank sinks into the water, bringing you down with it. You scream out in shock, bubbles flowing from your open mouth. Your (e/c) eyes squeeze shut and your body stiffens in fear of drowning. Then you feel yourself rising and breaking above water again. Apparently the wood can still float, but will sink with any hint of movement. All you can do now is hold on to dear life.

        A tear slips from the corner of your eye, mixing in with the salty ocean water, as you watch Mobius slowly grow further away.