Protection

A sliver of light shines through your eyelids. You squint at the brightness, but quickly adjust to the lighting and fully open your eyes, instantly alert. You are staring at a familiar ceiling, one that has been with you since your friendship with Tails and Sonic. The image of the cabin in the blizzard, of being taken away by the black hedgehog; it fills your mind with confusion. Chaos...it was all just a dream. You shake your head in disbelief. It felt so real. I really need to stop having these strange nightmares.

        A light snore causes your ear to twitch, and you look near the door of your bedroom. A young blue and tan hedgehog leans against his elbow, slouched in a soft chair. His mouth is slightly hanging open with a little string of drool about to slip out. Your hands cover your mouth to keep your from giggling as you sit up on the edge of the small bed. Why is Sonic in my room?

      There is a light knock on the door before it carefully creaks open to reveal the two-tailed fox. He silently creeps in and gives a relieved smile when he sees that you are awake. Leaving the door part-way open Tails approaches your side and looks as if he is about to hug you, however thinking better of it and deciding that you might want some space. He sits on the bed next to you and friendlily pats your back.

        "I'm so glad you are finally up! I was so worried," the fox says in a loud whisper.
Your head cocks to the side and you stare at him with a confused expression. "Why would you be worried about me?"

        Tails' mouth hangs open in shock, which reflects within his sky blue eyes as well. "You mean, you don't remember a thing?" His voice is beginning to rise from a whisper, but he does his best to keep the volume down so Sonic will not awaken.

        "What's there to remember? All I did was go to bed...right?" You scratch your head and raise an eyebrow.

        "You were kidnapped by Shadow!" Tails gloved hands quickly cover his mouth after the outburst, and the two of you glance at the blue hedgehog, only to see that he was still in a deep sleep. You gape at the fox, eyes becoming wider and wider as you realize what he is saying. Breaths gradually grow into quick, panicked wheezes.
"B-But," you stutter, "it was just... just a dream!"

        Tails' head slowly shakes as he looks to the floor. "I'm afraid not."
Tears begin to fill your eyes as you recall that what Shadow had said, was in fact, not a dream after all. He is going to kill my friends if I don't do something! 

        "Sonic had found you in the forest," Tails states, blue eyes filled with sadness at the sight of your tears. "He brought you back, and no matter what we tried you stayed unconscious. Sonic said he would not leave your side until you woke up." The boy gazes sadly at his sleeping friend, who is absolutely oblivious to the present conversation. You then notice that Tails' furry white face is beginning to grow pink. He whispers in a voice riddled with nervousness, "Did Shadow hurt you?"

        Taking an anxious gulp, you know you couldn't tell Tails about what the black hedgehog had done or said. Shadow said not to tell anyone anything, or else he would come and attack Sonic and Tails. You rapidly shake your head, (y/c) fur blowing into your face, causing your eyes to water a little. "I don't remember much," you mumble, the lie sparking shame within your heart.

        The orange fox's eyes narrow in anger and he clenches both fists together, his ears flattening against his head. He tenses his muscles for a few moments, before releasing the tightness and allowing a slow, calming sigh to leave his lips. "I'll bring you up some brunch, (Y/n). Stay in bed and rest yourself." Tails silently lifts himself off the bed and tiptoes to the open door, slipping through the crack to head downstairs.