Angry Red

"Mm, mm. I don't know how you do it Tails." Sonic daintily wipes his mouth with a napkin, leaning over the table to give his buddy a pat on the back. Tails waves him away with a smile.

        "Well, I just made the sauce a bit sweeter...there really was nothing to it."

        Sweet sauce! Of course that's the way to make a delicious homemade pizza! You smirk at the two boys, taking the last bite of your pizza crust. Sonic hands you a clean napkin and you nod your thanks before wiping off your hands.

        "Oh by the way Tails, (Y/n) wants to build a house near the ocean," the blue hedgehog nonchalantly states as he kicks back in his chair. A choking sound comes from the fox and you peer at him with confused curiosity.

        "Gah-chk! She what?!" Tails looks across the table to you with a slightly worried expression. "Are you sure it's safe enough for you to live on your own?" Your eyebrows furrow a little. I can handle myself! Although you have definitely enjoyed your stay in Sonic and Tails' home...you can't stay here forever! You glare into the young fox's eyes, lips firmly pressed shut.

        Awkward silence.

        A sudden knock on the dining room window wakes the three of you from the uncomfortable muteness. Looking to the left, you let out a frightened gasp from what you see. A red echidna is banging on the glass with both fists. Its violet eyes blaze in fury and its mouth is wide open, screaming out incoherent words toward the three of you.

        "Knuckles!" Sonic exclaims in shock. The echidna shakes his fist into the air and looks as if he is about to break through the window. You dive under the dining table just as Sonic speeds to the front door. Tails gets up as well, backing away from the table and rushing to follow his friend. From the next room over you can hear Sonic yelling outside, "Knuckles! KNUCKLES DON'T BREAK THAT WINDOW."

        Pounding footsteps leave the window and head in the direction of the front door. Your heart beats furiously. You think that the red echidna has come to attack your friends, yet you stay hidden under the table because you know that those two can protect themselves quite well. Instead of a fight, you hear the echidna stomp into the TV room with a fit.

        "Can you believe this? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" The voice is quite deep, and angry.

        You listen as Sonic and Tails attempt to calm down the fuming echidna; his deep and labored breathing tells you that they are failing. You scoot further under the table to try and hide yourself behind the chairs as heavy stomping heads into the kitchen.

        "Oh please don't Knuckles..." you hear Tails plead, just before there is the sound of something being kicked over. Tails gives an exasperated sigh as you see trash spilling out across the floor towards you.

        Something round rolls from the trash can and bumps into your foot. You look up to see red legs approaching, the echidna's spiky gloves curled into fists. He bends down on one knee, reaching out for the item that had rolled into you, however his arm stops in midair as he spots you under the table.

        "Err..." His raging purple eyes instantly become filled with humiliation as he stares into your eyes.

        "Knuckles...this is (Y/n)," Sonic says from beside him as the echidna quickly stands up and scuttles near the beige couch in the living room. The hedgehog crouches down and holds out his hand to you, which you slowly take with a dazed look. After being heaved to your feet you take a swift glance at the red being, heart still thumping as you see him clenching his fists. "Sorry about that. He seems to be a little upset," Sonic shrugs.

        "A little? A LITTLE?" Knuckles lunges into the hedgehog's face, shaking a spiked fist dangerously close. You hear Tails give a little squeak and see him run to Knuckle's side, pulling the fist back.

        "Calm down Knuckles! Just tell us what happened!"

        The echidna narrows his eyes and growls, "Eggman happened! I had left the temple for only a few minutes"—he angrily rambles—"to eat! And when I come back what do I see? The Master Emerald is missing and a little note is left in its place! 'Thanks for the emerald, my helpful friend.' WHY I'M GONNA—"

        "Okay, okay Knuckles!" Sonic interrupts. "We'll help you get the Master Emerald back. We've been having a bit of a burglary problem too...right (Y/n)?" The three boys turn their heads to stare at you, and your face turns a light shade of pink. "Oh right, she doesn't talk much."

        Knuckles shakes his head growling, pulling on his dangling spines. Sonic holds both hands up in a calming gesture. He says in a reassuring voice, "How about we get after that Egghead now?" The echidna nods and releases the tight grip on his red dreadlocks. With a side-glance at you, Sonic says, "You can stay behind if you wanna still relax. Don't worry about us. Doctor Eggman has never beaten us before...and he never will!"

        You nod your head since you are still a bit tired from racing the track in Emerald Hill. Plus spending the day alone sounded quite nice after being around people for so long. "Alright then. Let's go Tails!" Sonic dashes out of the room and heads down the stairs to the garage. Knuckles follows with a lumbering gait. Before Tails turns around to leave you spot a worried expression on his face.

        The hedgehog, fox, and echidna take off in the Tornado, heading out on an adventure.