06. a trip down memory lane

*5+ comments for next chapter. guys, please be active because last chapter you guys weren't and i worked really hard on it*

the originals (s2, e6: wheel inside the wheel )
_____________

ARIEL HAD left Asher and Davina at the cabin so they could spend some alone time together. She was wary of leaving him since all the events that happened the other day, but she needed time alone with Kaleb – well, Kol. They were driving back to New Orleans in complete silence. Kol wanted to speak to her, but knew she would fire back with 'why didn't you tell me before?'

Kol finally decided to ask something as he looked at their surroundings, "Where are you taking me?"

"Mystic Falls," Ariel stated. She hated that place, but she wanted to go to a certain place that brought back many memories. "No one knows I'm driving back and I want it that way, okay?"

Kol stared at her blankly, not knowing what to say. He despised Mystic Falls with a passion and never wanted to go back there, but if Ariel was willing to go back, he would too.

+++

"This town still reeks of depression," Ariel muttered as she pulled into the destination she was looking for.

Kol smiled at her comment and got out of the car, following Ariel to the clearing in the woods. There, he saw a huge mansion in front of him that was old and run-downed. He looked at the clearing and remembered that his mother was doing a ritual here where Finn held the angel against her will. He remembered being so scared for his love, even though they weren't together yet (they did share their first kiss that night). Kol then looked at the old mansion where they first met. She undaggered him: it's where it all began.

"If you think I stopped loving you, I haven't," Ariel started out with. "It just kills me that you promised that when you came back, you would come to me. You didn't though, you worked for your mother in another body and tried to play me."

Kol held out his hands and shook his head. "That's the last thing I wanted to do to you! Listen, my mother said that if you found out I was me, she would kill you. I couldn't let that happen because I'm so in love with you."

Ariel crossed her arms and didn't look at him; she couldn't. She started to regret bringing him here, too many memories were resurfacing.

"What does she want with me?" she didn't make eye contact with him at first, but suddenly turned around when he wouldn't answer. "Tell me!"

Kol nodded slowly and motioned for them to sit on the steps to the mansion. Once they sat, he thought about taking her hands in hers, but he opposed the idea. "She wants you out of the equation, out of everything. My mother has always despised you and she wanted to put you in a new body so you wouldn't have your powers. After that, she would kill you."

"I can take care of myself," Ariel mumbled looking at him.

Kol chuckled and softly tucked a strand piece of hair behind her ear. "I know you can love, but I can't just not protect you."

Ariel looked up into his charming, but heavenly eyes and she couldn't utter a word. Why was she fighting with the love of her life? He was here with her – right now – shouldn't she be kissing his lips right now?