12. everything is not as it seems

the originals ( season 2, episode 12: sanctuary)

+++

ARIEL WAS one to see the positive in scenarios, but this was different. Klaus and Elijah Mikaelson were two of the most powerful immortal beings in the universe, and they could possibly be after her at any minute. Her decently sized apartment was cloaked with a barrier spell thanks to her witch boyfriend. Only herself, Asher, Davina, and Kol were allowed in: no one else.

She sat up in her bed now, soft music playing in the background while candles were lit all over the room. Her mouth moved, but no words came out as she prayed to God and the angels above her. Power was something she needed in order to defend herself from the Mikaelson family. Lately she was feeling weak and she hated that.

"I know I haven't done this in a while, but I call to you God for help. There is a great evil upon this earth and I need the power to stop it," her voice was even and steady as her eyes were closed. "Esther has been running around this earth acting like she's the most powerful being alive; however, darkness and impurity cloud her. She needs to be taken off of this earth by me before everything is ruined. I pray that you will give me my full angel powers to accomplish this."

The room was quiet, only sounds of the tourists outside in the streets could be heard. Her window opened and a gust of wind caused her to open her eyes, seeing a bright light shine before her.

"How can you say Esther Mikaelson is impure when you've fallen in love with a blood sucking vampire?" God's voice spoke through the bright light.

Ariel shook her head, "You sent me down here to protect-"

"Yes, protect him, but not fall for him! You were our best prodigy, showing signs of a true angel ever since five years old. Now look at you, your wings are turning blacker by the minute." The words of her Holy Spirit struck her hard. They were taught from a young age to worship and love God; now here he was, mocking what she has done while in earth.

"Please," she got down on both of her knees, hands clasped before her. "My mistakes are ones I don't regret because I've fulfilled who I want to be. I know you don't agree, but I want to set it aside for just a period of time so I can defeat Esther. She has brought rain and terror to everyone that crosses her path. God, please, I need your help."

God thought about her proposition for a second, but knew what was right for everyone. " As long as you're associated with the Mikaelson's, you will be miserable. The eldest male is trying to turn Klaus and Elijah against you, but you'll stay here for Kol. That, my dear Ariel, will be your downfall. Step away from Kol and his gruesome family; then, I will give you the powers you want."

The bright light vanished and golden embers disappeared into the ground. Tears welled up Ariel's eyes, her head casting down to the floor. Without the powers, she would never defeat Esther, but she could never leave Kol. He did have his family drama, but one day the two would run away and live a normal happy life together.

She couldn't think anymore as her phone rang with an incoming text from her brother: sending location right now. get here asap

Ariel saw the address pop up after the text, looking it up to see it was a mini market on the corner down the street. She braced herself for what she was about to enter: was it Esther or something to do with Klaus and Elijah?

Quietly heading into the back way, a flashlight blinds her, recovering after to see it's Davina.

"What the fu-"

"Shh!" Asher covers her mouth and points to the other room. "Kol is trying to convince Vincent that he's on his side. We're getting Josh and then leaving."

Ariel nodded with the plan and saw Aiden worriedly looking for his boyfriend. The room was covered with outsold vampires, the air dusty and cool. Aiden finally found Josh in the corner with white powder surrounding him. "Over here."

They all kneel down beside him, but he wakes up just seconds later with a look of hunger and rage in his eyes. Aiden seems to be oblivious to it as he asks, "Josh, hey. It's me. You all right?"

His fangs retract and he growls at all of them. Ariel turns to see all the other vampires get up from their slumber. She retracts back, heading to the doorway with everyone else, only to see Josh standing in the doorway. Aiden reluctantly snaps his neck, carrying him on his back and heading out the door. Ariel looks into the other room and sees a glimpse of Kol, but Asher pulls her along so they can get the hell out of there.

+++

"Any word from him?"

"Nothing at all."

Ariel sat in her apartment with Asher and Davina, anxiously waiting for a text from Kol. Ever since the little glimpse she got of him in the market, her mind has been wondering if he was okay or not.

"I should've stayed to help him!" she groans and looks out the window as if he would appear all of a sudden. "He could he hurt right now and we're just waiting for a damn text."

Davina goes to stand right in front of her, taking her phone and setting it on the table. "Kol is fine and will contact us. Trust me he's a powerful witch."

Ariel nodded in agreement and saw how Asher was glad she was starting to calm down. She felt in her heart that he was okay, but there was always that little voice in the back of her head saying he would leave her again.

In a way, Ariel was glad he wasn't here right now because her decision still wasn't made. She was still confused as to either be selfless and save everyone or be selfish to be with the man she loves so desperately.

+++

I AM BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!! but seriously, inspiration came out of nowhere and i couldn't leave this beautiful love story hanging ;)

sorry this chapter is so short though, i'll slowly get back into the groove of this story so bare with me if chapters aren't all that great. also updates should be pretty decent lets pray

soooo, what should ariel do??

make sure to vote and comment!

-brooke