18. nobody needs me

GOAL - 10+ comments for next chapter

+++

KOL MIKAELSON was as close as ever to be alive yet again. With the help of Davina Claire and her newfound powers, he was getting closer and closer to the real world. They sat together and watched as the candle slowly burned away, symbolizing the time they had left.

"I knew she was missing," Kol admitted as he looked down at the circle encasing him. "Anytime I could, I would use the strength I had to check on her. However, one time when I did she was gone. There was no trace of her on this earth. Did she...?"

"No," Davina interrupted him immediately. "You would've felt it if she died. My theory is she went back to heaven, but I'm not so sure about that."

Kol nodded and asked, "So why did you want to see me again?"

"Because I think you might be the key to finding out where she truly is," The Claire witch began to explain. "If your bond is as powerful as they say it is, then you being alive again should just bring her right back." She held out her hand and he took it, "I'll do the spell and you just tell me what you see."

Kol closed his eyes and calmed himself down. He listened as Davina mumbled the spell, a white light engulfing the room. At first, there was darkness, but then a cave appeared. It flashed to inside where a man sat eating berries. The image panned to a figure, but it was hidden by the shadows. Kol peered more, praying for some miracle to happen.

"I see her!" Kol exclaimed and opened his eyes just as Ariel turned around at the sound.

Davina stopped the spell, some blood trickling down from her nose. Kol rested a hand on her shoulder to make sure she was okay.

She simply wiped it with her sleeve and looked at Kol. "You saw her?"

He nodded enthusiastically. "She was in a cave with someone else. They seemed...lonely. Tortured. A hellish place in fact. God, I almost had her."

Davina's eyes widened and she smiled; realization hitting her like a truck. "I think I know where Ariel is!"

+++

"Close your eyes. Follow your mind. Let it take you wherever it leads you."

Ariel nodded at Kai's instructions and did so. The sky was cloudy – like always – but no rain seemed imminent for now. Ariel walked a couple steps, but slipped on a rock and almost fell into a lava pit.

Kai held onto her, bringing her back up. "Okay, maybe don't close your eyes."

"I think I got that," Ariel brushed off the almost death event that occurred and focused on the stone.

Images of purple and blue flashed in front of her, but no clues on where it was. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and opened them again. Her surroundings had completely changed to a forest; vines covered the entrance to a cave.

"This was so not here before!" Kai started to freak out as sun shone through the trees. "Did those berries contain something? I swear to go–gosh I'm losing my mind."

Ariel rolled her eyes and took his hand. "Come on witchy boy we're finding our ticket out of here."

They traveled into the cave. It was slippery, cold, and sounds echoed throughout. Ariel felt like she was in a fairytale as tiny creatures on the wall lit up a blue color to guide the way. Kai gripped Ariel's hand and wondered if this was actually real.

"There it is!" Ariel smiled and ran to the stone. Kai slowly stopped to admire how happy she was; good to know she would be getting out of here to live her life.

An angel appeared next to Ariel, her hair as blonde as it could get. "Congratulations young Ariel, you have found the purity stone. Cade no longer has a hold on you."

"Thank you," she looks at the stone and wonders if Kol is waiting up there for her. "How do I use it?"

"In order for this to work, a big phenomenon must happen."

Before anything else could be explained, the angel disappeared, along with the cave and forest. They were back in hell and lost souls still walked around with nothing to do. Ariel and Kai ran back to the cave, curious as to how this would work.

"I can't believe we're getting out of here!" Ariel set the stone down and hugged Kai.

Kai pushed her back lightly, happiness gone. "The stone only works for one person. I've done way worse things than you and deserve to be down here. You, however get to live the rest of your life on earth with the people you love."

"What about you?" Ariel asks.

Kai shook his head. "Nobody needs me."

She sat down and Kai slid next to her. She didn't look at him, only at the ground. "I do. I need you. Even though I haven't known you for the longest time, you've made me not want to kill myself."

Kai placed a hand over his heart and sighed. "I would kiss you, but you have a boyfriend and I don't want to die."

"Smart idea," Ariel laughed, something she hasn't done in a while. "You don't want to mess with a Mikaelson."

+++

SURPRISE DOUBLE UPDATE!!

this was lowkey rushed and boring butttt i don't care i love my brotp 😍

you'll see more of them next chapter, along with the beginning of escape

make sure to vote & comment!

-brooke