26. give 'em hell

DAVINA CLAIRE'S memorial service was simple: only six of her closest loved ones had shown up to remember her

DAVINA CLAIRE'S memorial service was simple: only six of her closest loved ones had shown up to remember her. Ariel's eyes were filled with water as Vincent and Josh gave their speeches about Davina.

When everyone looked to the angel to speak, she took a deep breath. She wouldn't let anything stop her from talking about a girl she loved so dearly. "In the past, I've never gotten along with girls, except for Rebecca of course, but Davina was different. First of all, she didn't annoy me, but she was just so kind. Davina was one of the caring and smartest people I've ever known. I'll love her to my dying breath."

Ariel stepped back and looked over at Asher. He shook his head, not wanting to breakdown. She felt Kol tense up as he tried not to cry; he - even though it wasn't intentionally - killed the girl in the grave.

+++

Ariel felt a disturbance within herself ever since Davina's funeral. She couldn't pinpoint what it was, but she felt as if she would find out soon. Her ears caught a rumbling down the street outside her apartment building. She peaks out her window and sees Marcel, with a devilish aura around him, breaking a chair against a wall. She didn't want to bother him, but something told her to go outside.

Once he passed her building, she ran out of the front doorway. "Marcel!"

"Not now Ariel," his voice sounded like it was laced with venom. Something was off about him.

"Talk to me. I don't want you going through this alone." She grabbed his arm before he could walk away.

Right as she touched it, her mind flashed with Lucien's supernatural face. She looked back at Marcel; he saw the look in her eyes and knew what he was thinking about doing.

"I don't need anyones help!" Marcel yanked his arm away, but was pulled back.

"You can't do this," Ariel held his stare. "Don't be like Lucien."

Marcel tried to look away, but her pleading eyes made him stay. "You don't understand! The Mikaelsons have ruined so much for me my whole life. Having them take away Davina from me was the final straw. I - I can't take it anymore, Ariel. You have to see my side on this."

"I get it Marcel," she tried reasoning with him. "I understand your hatred for them. They have made Kol always feel like crap and Klaus almost tried to kill me for Cami. Marcel, I have been through hell and back with them; I would love to defeat them, believe me. But becoming even worse than them isn't even better."

He knew she was right deep down, but all the anger and sadness fueled up in him clouded his better judgement. He sped away without another word.

+++

"Hey, Ash. This is my tenth call to you. I want to make sure you're okay. It's killing me not knowing where you are. I know you're hurting, we all are, but we have to be in this together. I love you. Please call me back."

Ariel locked her phone and put it back in her pocket. She knew her brother would do this and distance himself from everyone.

"Ariel!" Kol knocked on the door repeatedly and she opened the door. He came in bug-eyed, breathing in and out heavily. "I - I saw Davina. The mirror broke and a candle lit on fire. Then her face was in the mirror when I looked-"

"Kol," she placed her hands on his shoulders to calm him down. "What does all that mean?"

"I think she's still out there."

With the new information, Ariel and Kol sought out Vincent. Using her senses, she found him in an illuminating, candle lit crypt. She opened the door, Vincent and another man turning to them. They were talking about going into the ancestral world.

"I'm coming with you," Kol states firmly, which took Ariel by surprised. "Listen, Davina sent me here. She's still out there."

Vincent shook his head, thinking he was crazy. "Kol, she's gone."

"No she's not," he denied. "Fragments of her soul are still bound to the ones she loves. She is reaching out and I have to reach back. I have caused so much pain for everyone, let me see her and try."

To any other girl, they would be jealous of this act of courage their man was doing for another girl, but Ariel found it beautiful. She knew he loved her so much, and the fact he was finally learning what being selfless was meant so much to her.

Vincent sighed and thought about it, slouching over a little. He picked up his bag, walked to the doorway, and looked back at Kol. "Come on."

+++

Ariel stood outside the circle and patiently waited for Vincent to be done preparing the spell. She was happy there was a possibility of Davina being alive, but something could happen to Kol. She couldn't lose him again. Josh had brought in Davina's favorite record, something needed for the spell as a personal connection to her.

"So, how exactly does an Original vampire get to go to the witch purgatory?" Josh asks as he sets down his bag.

"I died a witch. I spent months there, trapped and tormented by the Ancestors," Kol answers for him. He walks over to Ariel and pulls her close. "I have to go now."

She rests her hands on his face. "Please, for the love of God be careful. I can't-"

"You won't," he stops her before she has to say her worst nightmare. "I love you, darling."

"I love you too." Ariel kisses him softly and lets him lay down on the ground next to Vincent.

"Once we cross over, we're gonna be in enemy territory," Vincent warns him. Josh cuts his hand for the spell as he talks. "We're gonna have to move quick to conjure Davina and get the bomb set. Otherwise, the ancestors are going to shut us both down."

"Hmm, okay. Well, maybe just make sure that doesn't happen?" Ariel rolled her eyes at Josh's sarcastic comment.

All the guys lock hands and Vincent starts chanting a spell, channeling his magic from Josh to make him stronger. Ariel rests her back on the wall, waiting for what was to come.

A tap on her shoulders caused her to turn around. "Davina?"

"I don't have a lot of time," she grabs Ariel's hands and places a necklace in it. "Tell Ash...to keep this with him all the time, close to his heart where I will be. And that I love him so much."

Ariel didn't want to ask how or why she was here; weren't Kol and Vincent looking for her right now? Davina noticed her confusion. "I'm here right now because we have the strongest connection. You were the first girl to ever accept me and I can never repay you for that. You taught me how to be brave. I love you Ariel. This is my goodbye."

Davina hugged the angel as she disappeared into thin air. Ariel's eyes teared up tremendously; she couldn't even get a word out to Davina.

Ten minutes later, Vincent arose first, followed by Josh and Kol. Kol's cheeks were wet with tears too. She rushed over to Kol and helped him up. "Did it work?"

The crypt started to shake, stone pebbles beginning to fall around them. Josh quickly gets up. "Yep, and that's our cue to leave."

Ariel grabs Kol's hand as they rush out of the crypt. Before they follow the others, Kol turns back to the beam of light. "Give 'em Hell, Davina Claire."

+++

guyssss i finally updated!! there is only one MAYBE two chapters left in this story. be prepared :)

make sure to vote & comment

-brooke