28. sending my love

FINAL CHAPTER

KOL AWOKE just hours later

KOL AWOKE just hours later. He looked around at the moon shining through the trees. Why the hell was he in the woods? His hands quickly went to his neck; nothing was there. His eyes then looked at the ground beside him where Ariel laid. She was breathing, but barely. Her nose had dried blood around it.

He remembered this scene a while ago when Ariel had risked her life to save Matt. She had done the same thing for him.

"Ariel?" Kol kneeled over her and shook her body lightly. "God, I want to hate you for saving me but I can't."

He picked her up and walked; he had no strength to use his speed. It felt like hours until he found an abandoned cabin. His stress increased as she still hadn't woken up. Cleaning the bed as best as he could, he let her rest there.

Kol decided to try and tidy up the rest of the cabin. It wasn't going to be a temporary stay as Marcel would likely use a locator spell on them soon, but they've been running all day, they needed to just chill for a moment.

He kneeled down by the fireplace to bring some warmth into this cold, bitter air. He wondered how his brothers were doing. He still held a grudge against them for what they did to Davina, but the fact that Marcel was going to kill them made him shudder. Should he go back to help? Would he leave Ariel here? Kol wouldn't put her at risk again.

"Don't go."

He turned around and saw Ariel walking over towards him. She still felt a little drowsy, but managed to sit down by him in front of the fire. Kol looked at her questingly.

"You think really loudly," she placed her hand on his soft face. "Klaus told me to run no matter what. I know it sounds selfish for us to do, but...his voice told me he'd rather have us safe than be under Marcel's rule. It was like a dying wish and we have to respect that, right?"

"I guess." Kol picked the angel up and placed her in his lap so he could be as close to her as she could get. "I do agree with that we have to stop surrounding ourselves with danger. Even though that's our lives, Klaus wants us to get away. I want us to get away. I never said anything because it sounds selfish, but we deserve it. I've lost you too many times," Ariel's heart warms as she sees him start to tear up. "I almost lost you tonight. I say...lets get out of here. Go across the world and find a place. All I need in my life is you, Ariel Mikaelson."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and laughed. "We're not married yet."

"I know. I just wanted to see how it sounded."

Ariel kissed him and knew that this is what Klaus would've wanted. Even with their rocky relationship, he wanted the best for herself and his brother as they have been through a lot, mainly stemming from his mistakes.

+++

"Bekah?"

Ariel was surprised to see her long lost best friend call her the next morning. She looked back at Kol, who was still sleeping. She glanced longer, taking a look at his shirtless body.

"Ariel thank god you're okay," she sighed in relief. "Listen, I don't have a lot of time, but Marcel is away so I have time to tell you this.

"He bit Freya and Elijah. He used a dagger on Klaus and I'm about to go back to freak mode. I know this is old school, but I sent a pigeon to bring a letter from Klaus; it's the only way to get it to you safely."

"How did you know where we-"

"Freya found you guys in a cabin in the woods. Marcel doesn't know," Rebekah reassured her. "She also made sure that you guys wouldn't be found on any locator spell."

"What can I do to help?" Ariel felt terrible that they were doing all of this while she sat in a crusty cabin. "Just tell me anything-"

"You and Kol need to get out of here," Rebekah cut her off. "Even if you two were to come back, you'd be killed the second you step foot into the city. There's a bounty on your heads and it's for the best. I love you both so much and you deserve this life outside of our hell hole of a family."

Ariel heard the pigeon land on the windowsill. She turned her attention back to the phone. "Rebekah, I don't even know what to say. Just...thank you so much for this. Kol and I will be back. The Mikaelsons always push through."

"I'd do anything for my soon to be sister. I have to go now. I love you."

"I love you too."

Ariel hung up and took a deep breath so she wouldn't burst out into tears. She made sure Kol was still asleep before heading towards the window to pick up the note. She untied the note and whistled the pigeon off.

Sitting down on the run down couch, she read.

Dear Ariel

Do not feel bad for not being apart of this fight. You and Kol have fought enough battles for us, and in the end one of you always have to pay the consequences.

We've had different views for a while now and I've missed seeing you every day. I'm sorry for the way we ended things, but I hope this letter makes up a little part of it.

Freya and Elijah have been bitten and they don't have much time left. Marcel is keeping me captive and is now deciding the punishment with the others. If you and Kol were to come back, you'd be dead immediately and none of us want that. I don't want that.

You two need to run. Go somewhere in Europe, anywhere that Marcel won't reach you. You both deserve a happy life together.

My last wish is for you not to come back. This time I don't expect the Mikaelsons to outshine.

I send my love to both of you.

- Klaus M

She turned around to see Kol reading over her shoulder. He sat down beside her and closed the letter.

"I agree with him. We need to go now."

Ariel nodded and waited for Kol to put on his shirt. Hand in hand, they set off.

THE END
+++

now, i really hope you don't see ariel and kol's decision to leave as selfish. they have been through SO much shit and the mikaelson family knows that

i don't know if this is the end of kol and ariel's journey. i do have inspo to continue on, but idk if that'll change or not. if you guys want another book LET ME KNOW

as for now, i'll be thinking about writing another book. it'd be an au sorta thing fyi

vote and comment <3

-brooke