13. it'll break you

the originals ( season 2, episode 13: the devil is damned )

+++

HER PHONE showed everyone's names from her contact list, except for Kol's. It had been two days since he cut himself off from her, two days without the warmth of his body against hers during the night. Looking at the door, her mind pictures him coming through the door with a smile on his perfect face. She decided to call him again; the phone rang, but then went to voicemail again.

"Guess this is what you wanted God," Ariel mumbled and rolled her eyes up at the ceiling. Her choice was already made of course: she would choose Kol no matter what and that was that. She had gone through too much to lose the love of her life and she wanted to do something for herself.

Deciding she couldn't sit in this empty apartment anymore, she went to the Claire witch's lair to possibly make some progress with the golden dagger. Knowing Klaus was still possibly on her danger list threw her off edge a bit; before all of this, they were pretty good friends who looked out for each other. Now, they were enemies who had completely different outlooks on right to wrong.

Picking up the diamond, she twirled it around her fingers, admiring the vastness and beauty of it. She put it down and went to go find a spell book to see how to make the damn thing. As Ariel picked up a book, it fell abruptly out of her hands when the door to the crypt slammed shut. Heavy footsteps entered the room: Kol. He didn't notice his girlfriend as the thought of dying and his family rejecting him clouded his mind.

"Oh my god," That's all Ariel could say when she saw Kol crying. He has rarely cried in their time together and when he did, it hurt her so much. Kol looked up and saw the one person he needed, but also should be avoiding the most. "Are you okay?"

He knew there was no backing out of this once she sat down next to him and placed her hands on his cheek. Kol watched as she examined the scrape on his forehead and the tears leaving his broken eyes. "Baby, what happened?"

 "Baby, what happened?"

"I – I can't..." Kol shook his head out of her grip and rested his head in his hands. "It'll break you."

Ariel scoffed, "I think I can handle anything."