Chapter 25: Jungle

Song in multimedia: Kodak Black- Why They Call You Kodak

Ant's POV

Two months later

"You got this Ant. They fuck with you so why you nervous?" Al asked me as I stood in the hall of my old high school.

"Mane, I hated this school. I don't know what to tell these kids."

"Then why you agree to do it? You ain't getting paid for it." He told me.

"Cause it might make somebody day." I took a deep breath and prepared to step into the library full of teenagers.

Al and my publicist walked in before me. Once I walked in behind them, all I heard were screams. Cameras flashed in my face--the usual. A few girls ran up to me, almost tackling me to the floor. Their principal told them to sit down, I made sure to hug them first though. Their was a chair for me to sit, but I'd prefer to stand up. I rubbed my hands together, not knowing where I should start.

"What's up, y'all?" I smiled, greeting them.

"I love you, Ant!" Some girl yelled from the front row of chairs.

"I love you too, baby girl."

"Ahhhhhhh!!" She fanned her hands.

"Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to visit us." The principal said.

"I'm happy you asked me to come out. I remember walking these halls for the short amount of time I was here." I told her.

I started off by introducing myself to anyone who might not know who I am. The principal told me I was there because these students showed great improvement on their behavior. I told all of them how proud I was and that I wished I could've got my stuff together while I was in high school. Once I got comfortable, it was easier for me to talk to them. I told them nothing but the truth and how hard it was for me. Maybe my struggle can help one of these kids.

"But if you would've never went to jail then you wouldn't be standing here today. So jail kinda helped you out." A boy told me.

"Not for real. When I was in jail I didn't care about rapping. Even when I got released I didn't care about it. But I needed something to do to keep me off the streets. That's why I'm telling y'all to find something productive to do with y'all time. You never know how it'll change you. I wish I could've walked across the stage, but I was thinking about other stuff."

"I really hope y'all don't have to take the long route I took to success. I remember some of y'all from the neighborhood and I'm sure y'all know what I was doing before I got locked up." I got a few laughs from them because even though they were like middle schoolers back then, they knew I was bad as hell.

"How did you do it? How you keep yo head up during everything you went through. Did you ever wanna give up?" The same dude asked.

"Mane, you don't know the half. I wanted to give up so many times, but what don't kill you make you stronger. I just had faith that things would get better and I kept pushing."

A few more students asked me questions and I answered to the best of my ability. This is a real cool experience and I feel like I touched a few of them with my words. After being here for an hour, I got ready to leave. All the students took pictures with me and I signed a few notebooks and book bags.

"You had your baby yet?" Asked one of the female students as I signed her uniform shirt. They all were so comfortable talking to me.

"Nawl. She only six months." I answered as I moved on to the next person.