Chapter 46: Leaving her

*Jonathan's P.O.V.*

We walk hand in hand downtown, and Alex stops occasionally to take pictures of the buildings, restaurants, even graffiti.

"So," i start, "tell me about your family."

She thinks, slightly swinging my arm. I like that.

"I have a sister, Mackenzie. She's 24. She's a dentist. My mum works as a computer data base programmer, and so does my dad. My father doesn't live with us, but they're not divorced." She says.

"That must be tough on you." I say.

She shrugs.

"I'm used to it." She looks down at her feet.

"Tell me about you. What's your favourite colour? Food? Movie?" I ask.

She smiles, glad I'd turned the conversation away from her parents.

"Red, Caesar salad, and August Rush." She says.

"Salad? Really!?" I ask. That's unusual for a favourite food.

"Yepp. Croutons and the sauce always get to me." She grins, "Well what about you?"

"Its always just been me and my parents, nothing special." I say.

She nods. "Only child eh?" She winks.

"It's not as great as you think it is!" I say, "I was bored, growing up. Quiet and serious." I say truthfully.

She smiled. "But i like quiet and serious people." She swung my arm again.

She stopped, and gasped. She ran over to an alley, and touched the walls. On the wall, were many different kinds of drawings. Animals, flowers, people. But on top of all that, there were huge black letters:

        WILL YOU MARRY ME?

Alex raised the camera to her eye, and snapped a photo. She sighed, and laughed.

"Isn't this great?" She asked me.

I laugh with her. "You're one interesting person, Alex." I say.

She cocks her head to the side, and she tries not to smile.

"What?" I ask.

"I like it when you say my name." She says.

"Alex." I say, and she laughs.

"Alexalexalexalex!" I tease her.

"Jonny!" She squeals, "stop, you're going to make me pee." She says clutching her stomach.

"Alright, alright." I say.

I look at my phone. Its already 1:20. Time passed by so quick.

"Lets eat." I suggest.

Alex nods. "I'm starving." She adds

We find a good Italian place, and she orders Caesar Salad and pasta. I order pasta and fries.

When our food comes, she happily eats up her salad first.

"So you DO like Caesar Salad that much." I say.

"Of course! I wasn't lying when i said its my favourite!" She reaches over and plucks a fry off my plate.

The gesture is so natural, i can't help but grin at her.

She doesn't return my smile.

"Jonny, its almost 2:00" she says.

"I know. I know. I wish i could spend every second with you. But i have games, and you have school. This is just bad timing." I realize.

"Yeah. I mean, if we met a few years from noe, maybe I'd already be a music teacher. I'd move to Chicago with you, and problem solved." She says.

"You'd move to Chicago with me?" I ask.

"I think you know the answer to that." She tells me.

The rest of lunch went by quick. We went back to Alex's dorm, and i left a short while after that.