Chapter 71

*Jonathan's P.O.V.*

Excuse me? Did i just hear Matthew?

Here I am, having an amazing time with Alex, when her ex just waltzes in?

He broke her.

Literally, he broke her ankle.

But not that literal, he broke her heart.

I feel Alex go weak in my arms, and i pull her in closer. I need to protect her.

"Hey, Alex" Matt gives Alex a half hearted nod. Matt's eyes travel to me, and he says, "I thought you could never skate again." He directs the question to Alex, while looking at me. He walks out on the ice in running shoes.

She stays silent, still in shock that Matt is here. I answer for her.

"She's better now." I say.

He cocks his head, and asks, "So you're her new skating partner?"

"No." I say.

Alex cuts in.

"I thought you went to train in the States." She says.

"I did. But we didn't get as far as you and I did, so I came back. I skated single for a while, but didn't enjoy it. That's why i came back looking for you. I couldn't find you for years. And look, here we are, reunited." He says, eyes traveling to my protective arm around Alex's shoulder. Just because he's looking, i pull her in even tighter.

"I tried looking for you, i really did." He continues, "Skating only with you, makes it special for me. I was a jerk to leave you stranded here, but i know my mistake. I'm here to fix it."

Did i seriously just hear this guy correctly? HERE TO FIX IT? HE NEARLY KILLED HER AND LEFT HER ALL ALONE! I'm angry now, face getting hot.

I look over to Alex, not possibly believing she would take up on his offer. She breathes in sharply.

"Matt, it's been 3 years. I don't take skating seriously anymore. I'm also with another guy,"

As she said that, she linked her fingers through mine.

"You're lucky I'm not yelling at your face right now." She adds. "I don't think i can ever forgive, or trust you.

I'm surprised at how calm she is. When she was angry at me, she was in tears.

"Hey, just listen. I made a stupid mistake, can't you just forgive me?" He asks a bit louder this time.

"What's there to forgive, Matt? You left me here, ALONE. We were a team, and it felt as if you only cared about yourself. First of all, you injured me. Second of all, we were in a relationship, meaning you should've stayed behind even though i couldn't skate anymore. Bastard!" She said.

Holy... did my good girl just swear?

"Don't call me that," Matt spat.

"Hey hey, lighten up buddy," I step forward, pushing Alex behind me.

"Who do you think you are? Just because you're her new boyfriend? No. She's not yours." He steps forward, getting into my face.

"You don't want to get involved." I say firmly.

I feel Alex squirm behind me, and she whispers so that only I can hear.

"Leave him alone, Jonny. It's not worth it."

Matt continues to try and touch Alex. Alex seems genuinely scared of the jerk. Matt is tall and muscular, but I'm stronger than him.

Matt plays around, reaching for Alex. I flinch, and he tests the reaction again. Hes just playing now, seeing my reflexes. He laughed whenever he got a reaction from me.