1

hiccup.

"Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, do you know what this is?"

"A pin?"

It was just a typical morning, we were going to school as usual. Jack and I were neighbors since childhood. I moved into town and I was a little shy before and interacting was a little too hard for me. But Jack was always there when I felt scared of the new environment. He helped me get by, always calling me to play, and that got me out of my shyness. I still remember that memory.

"This is actually my gift for Thiana." He said.

"Ah, her birthday's coming?" I asked and he blushed.

I've had enough of this Thiana. She's the one who Jack talks about all the time and I grow tired of hearing it 24/7. She's the daughter of our local dentist and she's the highest ranking student in our school. She and Jack have been going out for a year now and things between them are going so smoothly, it's scaring me.

He chuckled and scratched his cheek. "I guess I'm too much into her. Well, she's cute and she makes me happy. It's about time I make her happy." He said while looking at some ugly pin he picked for Thiana. Wow, that could work for her. "You're right, it's a pretty pin. I'm sure she'll wear it all the time." I told him. Of course, an ugly pin suits her. 

But why am I thinking like this!? This is too disgusting of me. I should be supportive at least.

I took the pin from his hand and threw it far away. "What?! Hiccup?! Are you crazy? That was 20 dollars!" He shouted. "Relax! I'm your best friend. And a 20 dollar ugly pin isn't going to work for someone as beautiful as Thiana. I'll help you choose." I said patting his shoulders. "You-! I don't get you sometimes." He said and I laughed. That's just how we usually are.

Jack and I go to school together, and we hang out during breaks, but when it's time to go home, he usually escorts her to the bus terminal or they go on dates and I go home alone without someone to talk to. It feels a little lonelier than when I was a child. Not having Jack around at most times was something awful to me.

"Oh yeah! Can I borrow your History textbook?" He asked. I reached for my bag and got my textbook. When I was handing it out to him, our hands bumped me a little and it was a bad reflex of mine to shudder at it. I accidentally dropped the book and he picked it up for me. This is bad, my heart's fluttering! Ah! I have to stop it. I averted my eyes to distract myself, but suddenly he put his right hand on my forehead, and was so close to me.

"Are you sick?" 

STOP! STOP! STOP! I backed away a bit and shook my head in reply. Honestly, this is all bad for my heart. "W-we have classes and I got to go. See you later!" I said and dashed away from him and to the school. I don't have time for this, I really don't! Jack has a girlfriend, and I can never have a room in his heart! We're both men!

It's just impossible!

I got to the door of my classroom, my heart still beating loud. I think it can even be heard a meter away from me. Why did Jack have to do that stupid thing?! He really doesn't get me at all! And I wish, he would never. These disgusting feelings I have for my best friend are taboo. This is an unspeakable and forbidden feeling. I want to get rid ot it soon. But...I just can't.

"Ah, Hiccup! Right on time! The teacher wanted you to have a copy of yesterday's notes." 

"Thanks...Thiana."

Toothiana, or just Thiana for short, is my classmate. She's a good student, friend, role model, and of course girlfriend to the one I like. Don't get me wrong, she's the perfect girl and Jack's type. She's friendly with anyone she meets like she doesn't have any imperfections and somehow, it sickens me to the stomach. Nobody's perfect, that's what I believe in. But even if I do believe in that saying, I feel like something's wrong with me liking a guy. It's just not normal.

"You look pale, did something happen?" She asked.

"Nothing of the sort, really. I got to get to my seat. Thanks for these." I told her and escaped.

I placed my bag on the floor and sat. I sighed loudly and felt someone tap on my shoulder. It was Astrid. "Fought with Jack?" She asked. "No, what makes you think that?" I told her. "Because you always have this painful expression and you sigh loudly when you two argue about something. I'm a pretty observant person." Astrid said and it made me want to open up about my situation, but I can't.

"Meet me later dumbass. I got something to say to you." She said.

"Sure..?" I agreed unconsciously. Nevermind all this, I just want to get through the day. I want this vicious unrequited love to end too.

_____________________________________________________

*Thiana because this is a school AU and so having Toothiana as her name all the time, her nickname is Thiana.

*There will be no Rapunzel/Merida appearance for this is just rotg and httyd :) thank you!