8

hiccup.

Jack's been acting weird since that day. He never contacted me, or sent me a message. Even at school, he always looks so restless. As much as I want to talk to him, I couldn't. After all, that happened.

"Hiccup, you're on duty today with Jack. Make sure to pass all the papers to the office." The teacher said and I kind of glanced at Jack. He still doesn't give me a smile or something. Duty time came and I walked towards Jack, still shy to talk to him. But I'm his best friend, so why am I getting these kinds of jitters? "Hey Jack..." I said and he looked at me and gave me such a weak smile.

"Oh Hiccup. I have to go home early today." He said.

"But we're on duty together..." I told him.

He lifted up his shoulder bag and he gave me his homework. "I asked someone else to replace me. See ya." He said and walked out of the classroom. I arranged all the papers and the silence in the room gave me an eerie chill. No one came in the end. I knew Jack was avoiding me, but I didn't know for what reason. My throat started hurting and I gulped several times to ease the pain. Tears just suddenly left my eyes and my vision was getting blurry.

"W..hy?"

I wiped away all the tears in the fear of someone seeing me in this state. I didn't want it to come to that point. Someone might just ask. When I was done arranging the files, I was ready to carry them to the teachers' office and finish my duty for today.

"Knock knock." Someone said.

I looked up to see who it was. It was a very familiar face. "What are you doing here all alone?" The guy said and I wiped the tears from my glasses to see who it was. It was Jace! "It's you! What are you doing here?" I asked him and he smiled as he walked towards me. "I'm working as a part-time school doctor here. I just started today." He said and I kind of got confused. "You're a Law student right?" I asked him and he nodded. "I shifted my course to medical; I'm part-timing now." He said and carried half of the pile of papers.

"Wow, wouldn't you graduate a lot later?"

"Yes! But education is a lot important as well." He said and I nodded.

We carried the papers together to the office and we had a lot of fun along the way. He teased at some point which I find a little brotherly. "Speaking of, where's the student that's supposed to help you in duty?" He asked and I gave him the same weak smile Jack gave me.

"He said he asked for a replacement, but they never came."

He patted my back hard and I felt my lungs come out. "That hurts!" I exclaimed and he laughed as well. He massaged the part where he hit calmly. "Sorry! I'm also a volleyball player!" He apologized and I nodded. "It's alright." I told him and swept his hand off. Jace is more like a brother to me rather than a potential boyfriend. Being with him is much more soothing than being with Jack though.

"Hey, back off him."

Jace and I looked at the person who was standing off in the distance. Is that Jack? He was panting so much I could see his breath. "What...what are you doing here?" I asked him and he walked towards us, his legs weak from running. "It doesn't matter why I'm here. The fact that this guy is being such an ass is the matter." Jack said eyeing Jace in a different way.

"He's the school doctor, Jack. He helped me in 'my' duty."

"I just accompanied Thiana to the station..." He said.

Jace stepped up with a big grin. "So? That doesn't justify the fact that you ran away. You know that, yet you chose the other way." Jace told Jack. It was getting a little out of hand. "Stop it with your nerd talks. I don't care about you! Just don't get near Hiccup." He said and I clenched my fists. I walked towards Jack and slapped him hard enough to wake him up.

"I do not need your pity." I said then walked out of the scene.

It was so troublesome. I have to go through that much just because Jack is a stubborn guy who doesn't give a damn about others but himself. If you love Thiana so much, why do you still care about me? The least you can do is just leave me alone to rot by myself. I thought trying to go out with Astrid is a good escape. Meeting with another guy might just make me forget.

But why the hell do you keep coming back?

○○○○○○