12

hiccup.

Jack's got me reading some classic myths stuck on my shelf. 

I don't know why he does this but, it's actually making me happy. His puppy eyes whenever he asks me to read another story feels like childhood. He also did this when we were kids because I was often described as the kid who has every knowledge regarding all things.  

Jack's sitting next to me as he hands me another classic myth entitled Daedalus and Icarus. "How about this one?" He asked and I sighed. "This was my favorite mythology classic! We studied this in the eighth grade too." I said and he nodded. "I kind of don't remember it anymore, so do you mind telling me all about it again?" He said and I flipped the pages. "Sure." I told him. 

"There was an inventor named Daedalus and he was trapped in a tower with his son Icarus. He thought of a way to escape using wax candles and he formed large wings, enough to carry a human. He told Icarus not to fly too high or too close to the sun because it might kill him. He understood that, or at least he thought he did. They flew out of the tower and they were soaring. But then, Icarus got too close to the sun and despite Daedalus warning him, he still flew higher and closer. His wax wings melted and he fell to his death." I ended it and Jack was left astounded. 

He snapped out of it eventually but he was still shocked. "It's not a happy ending, but I guess it teaches us to keep our feet on the ground." I told him and he shook his head. "I have another perception about that story. I think Icarus -whatever his name is- fell in love with the sun." He said all serious. "Are you kidding? How did you come up with that perception?" I asked, looking him in the eye. He seems to know more about messages and themes than me. 

"Daedalus and Icarus, for me, is a story of forbidden love." He said.

"Forbidden love?" I repeated, not getting the message. 

He chuckled and got up from where he was sitting to get a notepad. He drew the sun and a stickman who I think is Icarus. "Let's suppose, this Icarus is you. And this sun is what you love. Daedalus tells you that getting close to the sun is dangerous but you don't listen. You keep getting closer and closer until you realize that you don't mind dying just to be close to the thing you love most. It's something forbidden, right?" He said and I realized that what I have towards Jack, it is forbidden. 

"What if I'm Icarus, and I'm Daedalus at the same time?" I asked him. 

"You mean, you're in love but you're telling yourself not to fall in love?" He asked.

I nodded. He catches on pretty quickly. "I think you just have to follow your heart Hiccup. It's not like you to hold back." He said, leaving the notepad on my bed stand. "You don't understand." I mumble under my breath but it's a good thing he didn't hear it. "So...who are you in love with?" He finally asked and he was trembling, I can tell. I didn't want to take his trembling as a sign that he doesn't want to let me go. But I shouldn't be so sure. 

"You're my best friend, but I can't tell you everything." I said.

"Then you saying I'm your best friend is a lie." He said, clenching his fists. 

I stood up from the bed and got near him. "Why do you want to know so much? Forbidden love, yeah. I'm gay. Everything about my existence is forbidden." I told him and he grabbed my hand. "Your existence is not forbidden, and I think it's a miracle. It's a miracle for me to have met you!" He exclaimed and I was blushing underneath this poor facade of a calm expression. I don't know what to do. 

"Don't blame me later on." I told him, and reached for his face. I pulled him closer to me and kissed him. The moment I did, I felt like I was on cloud nine. I was floating in space along with trillions of stars. 

But that didn't last long. 

"I have to go." He said, and pushed me away. I was left dumbfounded. He slammed the door and I heard his footsteps rushing down the stairs. "Ha..haha! Standing by me regardless my sexuality? Yeah right. Liar." I said, not noticing the tears flowing from my face. I have to stop this. 

I have to stop loving him. 

-------------------------

no jack what the freak.