chapter 1

A gust of wind swept across the bare skin of your cheek. It was your shivering that awoke you. It was an unbearable kind of cold, the kind that left your fingers numb and had you curled up like a baby in an effort to keep warm.

Slowly your eyes flutter open. The first thing you notice is a thick fog becoming more and more prominent with every exhale of breath you took.

Sitting up, you nearly curse yourself for the lack of clothing you wore but you remember, Winter isn't for another two months. Just a few hours ago you felt suffocated in a light jumper and sweat pants.

You snatched up the discarded jumper and threw it over your bare trembling body. You were granted a second of comfort before the cold air began nipping at your exposed legs, creeping up your thighs and making you shiver all over again.

The smooth and steady dancing of your curtains caught your attention. It was captivating. The sheer fabric twirled and waved in its own spotlight that the moon provided, even the wind seemed to cheer for it as it whistled through the cracked window. The very window you were sure to lock every night because of your habit of watching crime shows.

Quickly and swiftly you made your way torwards the window. The tips of your fingers brushed the glass as you softly pushed it open farther to take a look at your surroundings. It was dead silent, not a cricket within hearing distance.

The streets of your neighborhood lay vacant from any cars or people, which wasn't necessarily abnormal at this time of night.

The sun was nowhere in sight, just the moon providing you with the slightest bit of light. It was all too eerie. Creeped out you went to hurry and shut the window but your eye caught sight of something the moon had perfectly managed to reflect off of.

It was just on the ledge of your window. Reaching towards it, your fingers met a soft object. A feather.

Squinting, you saw that it was black and when you spun it around between your index and thumb fingers a luminescent green and blue hue was seen. Beautiful. You thought.

The winds soft caress' now became harsh and painful. With the feather clutched carefully in your right hand you quickly shut your windows, making sure they were locked.

The dark setting of your room was already scary as it is but add on the weight of someones eyes and you were gone. You didn't go far though. You just darted across the room and rolled yourself up in your blanket as if that would keep you from being watched or worse, murdered.

🌙🌙🌞🌞

"Y/N."

A sound somewhere between a grunt and a moan leaves your mouth.

A soft object brushes past your cheek, causing it to twitch. "Stop." But it doesn't.

After another ten minutes of rolling a feather around your face the stranger grew tired and sighed. "Y/N, I need you! I think I'm having some sort of mental breakdown. Do you know how many sno-balls I've had this morning?! Six!" Your friend rambles loudly.

"Then just stop. Duh." You mumble sleepily through your blankets.

"I can't. I need your help. Nori dropped out of the prom committee after that fact that she screwed up the orders."

"I told you not to trust her. She can't even tell the difference between left and right, let alone red and magenta." You snort and begin to struggle out of the cocoon you managed to encase yourself in.

"Yeah. But you do." You look to your friend with a sharp gaze as she nervously trails off.

"Ami." You sigh. "I've retired. I left that part of me a long time ago." Of course you said it in a joking manner but there was no way in hell you'd put yourself through the hell of what is known as prom, an event that people spent months planning only to have it go on for a few hours then be judged because it didn't meet certain qualifications. Sorry to the girls who thought my beautiful lamp post decorations could pass as stripper polls.