1

"Shit!"

"Shit!"

Jessica swore as she stubbed her toe on the foot of the chair. She was rushing to leave her apartment because she was already half an hour late for work.

She did a half run half hop as she struggle to pull her shoes on while she made her way down the narrow hallway to the elevator.

"You've got to be kidding me!" She grumbled.

She punched the sign on the elevator that said 'out of order' once again. She headed for the stairs and raced down as fast as her feet would carry her.

As she stepped outside the cool air rippled through her too thin hand woven cotton sweater. Summer had passed and Autumn was making it's presence known. Still it was a little cooler than normal for this time of year.

What else could go wrong today?

She hurried along the sidewalk trying to get to the bus stop closest to her apartment. Just as she turned the corner she spit a few colorful swearwords as warm coffee was spilled all down the front of her already discolored white dress blouse. She winced when the liquid touched her skin.

"Look what you did!?" She yelled at the teenage girl.

"Sorry" the girl replied with a shrug and a tone that said she couldn't care less.

"Yeah I'm sure you are" Jessica replied while trying to keep her soiled blouse from sticking to her parched skin.

"Of course I am. Now I've lost my perfectly delicious cup of coffee because you don't watch where you're going"

With that the teenager walked away leaving Jessica glaring daggers at her back. She thought about storming after her and giving her a piece of her mind, but the exhausted sound of the bus stopping caught her attention. Without hesitating she started running down the block before the bus could drive away.

"Wait!...stop the bus!" She yelled waving her hand in the air.

However her cries were in vain as she stood feeling defeated watching the bus drive away. Before she could even think of what to do next a cab pulled up and the driver was asking her if she needed his service. Just like that she knew her landlord would be threatening to kick her out once again because now she had to take money from her rent to pay for a cab to go all the way across town. She slid into the back of the cab and gave him the address to her new job.

By the time the cab pulled up to the front of the art gallery she was already an hour late. She paid the driver and ran inside. She made a quick stop by the receptionist and the woman informed her that the boss wasn't happy that she was so late for her very first day.

She opened her mouth to explained the morning she was having but quickly swallowed her words when a gruff voice from behind her caught her attention.

"You're late"