13

Javier sat up in bed the next morning and watched Jessica as she slept

Javier sat up in bed the next morning and watched Jessica as she slept. He'd managed to sleep last night, better than he had in awhile. He smiled as he remembered her answering the door armed with a frying pan. Knowing her she could do some real damage with it too. He chuckled which caused her to stir awake.

She looked up at him with innocent sleepy eyes. Something in him stirred. He reached out and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Buenos días" he told her.

"Buenos días" she copied

He chuckled again knowing that might be one of the only things she knew in Spanish. She had been so patient and welcoming last night. Without a word she had lead him to her bedroom and ordered him to go to sleep. He remembers how she blushed when he took off his shirt and climbed into bed next to her. Sometime during the night she turned to him in sleep and cuddled into his chest. He was all too happy to pull her closer as he drifted off to sleep.

As he looked at her now he could see the uncertainty in her eyes. He couldn't blame her. He was confused about this too.

"Thanks for letting me stay here" he said

"Sure, it was...nice"

"Sì" he replied nodding.

"I'll go put on some coffee"

"Wait, please" he said pulling her back to bed.

She looked at him as if she was scared to hear what he wanted to say.

"I know we, um...argue a lot, but I don't want you to think I'm only attracted to your body, because I'm not"

"Wow a girl just loves to wake up to insults in the morning, please do continue."

"No Jessica that's not what I mean. It came out wrong. I meant your body isn't all I'm attracted to. I just don't think I have it in me to date"

"Have you ever tried?"

"Yes"

"What happened?"

"She decided she wanted someone else instead"

"The girl in the picture you mean?"

"Yeah"

He was glad she didn't push the conversation anymore. Things would have only gotten awkward if she did.

He followed her out to her small kitchen and sat while she made them coffee. She took lots of creme and two spoons of sugar. He filed that information away for later use. He looked around and saw a wall where she had picture. He walked over to get a closer look.

"Family?" He asked over his shoulder.

"Yes. Those three are my brothers." She said pointing to three guys dressed in farm clothes standing by a stable.