11

He took a sip of his scotch and shifted his gaze to the front yard, where almost bare trees clattered in the wind

He took a sip of his scotch and shifted his gaze to the front yard, where almost bare trees clattered in the wind. Relaxation still eluded him, but with everything he had on his mind that really wasn’t a surprise.

Between work and the upcoming launch party there was plenty for him to think about. And that wasn't even counting a certain attractive intern that didn't seem to stay off his mind.

Immediately the image of her wrapped in his best friend's arms swaying to the slow music popped up in his mind. He stared into his glass as the same uncomfortable feeling from last night swept over him, jealousy.

How ironic.

He scoffed and tossed back his drink and slammed the cup on the table beside him.

Would this keep happening? Every time I feel something a little more than lust for a woman.

The woman in question was opinionated, stubborn, sarcastic, messy and had an attitude that would leave the toughest of men sucking on their thumb...but she's been the only woman since Isabella to make him feel something more. At first he thought it was because they had similar eyes but every time he was around her he realized it was more. She made him feel, understood. That's something he hasn't had in too long now.

Not that it matters, turns out she's a liar too, just friends my ass. Yet I still want her.

He refilled his now empty glass and toasted to his own stupidity. Seriously hadn't he learned his lesson seven years ago? Isabella had been the same way, except she wasn't at all sarcastic. She was beautiful, immensely so but so was Jessica, except Jessica doesn't know just how beautiful she is.

Or maybe its all an act.

Realizing that trying to take a day off was a bad idea he got up and decided to go in to work. Besides he's never taken a day off since he took over the gallery.

What he saw when he got to the gallery made him wish he had stayed home. Jessica was at her desk and she wasn't alone, she was with the same guy he saw her with in the display room discussing the painting. Now he knew why Mary was trying to keep him distracted by the front desk. He washed as Jessica giggled at something the guy said.

"Ms. Walters" he was satisfied with the startled look on her face as she turned to him. "This area is out of bounds to visitors. I suggest you remember that the next time you decide to entertain your guest, and during working hours?"