Chapter 11

A sudden knock on my office's door caught my attention. I was scanning through the files on pending proposals once again, trying to figure which proposal should I entertain and not.

The door opened halfway through and Kristine's head peeked through the opening.

"Yes, Kristine? Is there something wrong?" I asked her while closing the folder I was holding just a minute ago and placed it back in the drawer.

Napangiwi siya sa aking tanong at tila ay nagdadalawang-isip pang sagutin ako.

"Ma'am, kasi nandito na naman po si Dr. Leander. He's insisting on meeting with you over lunch."

I frustratingly closed my eyes and laid my back on the backrest of my swivel chair. I massaged my temple and my forehead before gazing back at Kristine's direction.

This kind of incident has been going on every day, ever since the Engagement Party happened.

Now does he really have to ruin my beautiful Wednesday morning?

"Utang na loob, Kristine. I thought I already made myself clear about this. I don't meet with other people who are not my client or if I don't have any business with them. Please turn down his offer politely, again. And this time, please make him understand my situation. I want to keep a professional approach to all of my clients, and previous ones." I instructed.

I know I may sound and look rude by constantly rejecting his offer, but this is what I do and how I live.

Every morning, he'd come over to my restaurant and try to push his luck by inviting me over to lunch, or sometimes dinner. But I've also been continuously rejecting all of his attempts. I don't like any personal attachments, I have been living that way up until now and I intend to keep my life that way.

In my line of work, and the kind of life I'm living, mahirap magpapasok ng ibang tao nang basta-basta na lamang. They're going to become a liability, and eventually, my weakness. I can't afford to have any signs of vulnerability in the state I'm in.

"Pero ma'am, pagbigyan niyo na po. A simple lunch wouldn't hurt right? Tsaka kawawa naman po, since Monday pa po 'yan. Lagi na lang bumabalik dito before lunch or before dinner time. Inaaya po kayo para masiguro niya pong kumakain daw kayo at least twice a day." She defended. I get it. Kristine's the type of person who'll be easily get swayed by gestures like this. I can't blame her, she does not know anything about the dangers I'm facing in a day to day basis.

Isa pa, alam kong gusto niya lang akong kumbinsihin na subukang magpapasok ng ibang tao sa buhay ko. This wasn't the first time that she tried to set me up with someone, and I almost lost my cool because of that.

I bit my lower lip and took a deep breath. I know she's just trying to be a good friend to me, but I really don't need this kind of burden. I'm fine living by myself and having my family as the only people around me.

"I'm sorry Kristine, pero hindi ko talaga pwedeng paunlakan ang imbitasyon niya. Please just do as I say." I answered with finality in my tone. I wanted to make her understand that I'm not up for any arguments or debates regarding this topic.

I saw how her eyes spoke disappointments on my decision but there's really nothing that I can do about it.

I faced my table once again and took the other folders on my drawer. I don't want to meet her gaze for the moment. I stared at the papers blankly, until I heard the sound of the door closing. Saka pa lamang ako nakahinga ng maluwag.

I continued flipping through the pages of folder's content when my phone vibrated.

Kinuha ko ito at tiningnan kung kanino galing ang mensaheng aking natanggap.