Chapter 12

I am constantly throwing side glances at Matteo's table. They were just laughing and drinking, clearly enjoying themselves.

"I have to listen to their conversation. Baka mamaya ay may mahalaga silang pag-usapan at mapalagpas ko pa."

There were more people coming inside the bar as the evening gets late. At dahan-dahang dumarami na rin ang mga tao rito sa pwesto ko. Some of them are starting to block my line of vision on Matteo's table.

"You have to get closer to their table, if that's what you want." Cormac suggested, but obviously I won't do that. I'll just risk blowing my cover up more kapag mas lalo akong lumapit sa kanila.

"I can't do that. Baka mas lalo lang akong mapansin ni Leander. I can't risk it." Sagot ko kay Cormac.

"Bakit ba kasi ikaw ang kumikilos ng lahat ng 'to? You could have asked the other lieutenants. You can ask Salem, you know he's extremely expert when it comes to stealth and undercover operations. He isn't called the Boogeyman for no reason." Cormac pointed out. What he said was true. There was even a ghost story about the great Salem in the underground world. It's used to scare off traitors of some minor crime families.

They're terrified because of the fact that no one has seen the mythical Boogeyman yet, especially in action. They know him by the name but they don't know him by the face.

"I can't drag any more people to this. Isa pa, kailangang ako mismo ang makaalam at makakita ng mga kaganapan sa pamilyang 'to." I reasoned out. But the truth is, this is something personal. I started this investigation alone, at hanggang wala pa akong matibay na ebidensya ay hindi ko muna ito ipapaalam sa kanila.

"But you have no other choice. Or would you rather have me in the field with you as well? Ako na lang ang lalapit sa table nila."

Cormac's offer was tempting, but I can't risk having the outer premises open and vulnerable. Paano kung may ambush palang gaganapin?

"No need. Mas kailangan ko ang mga mata mo diyan sa labas, Cormac."

Napagdesisyunan kong lumipat ng puwesto at naupo sa isang bakanteng couch sa 'di kalayuan mula sa kinaroroonan nina Matteo. Mas malapit ito kumpara sa dati kong puwesto, pero hindi rin naman gano'n kalapit sa mesa nila.

I maintained a safe distance between us, with my back facing them. I tried my very best to eavesdrop on their conversation and fortunately, I was able to do it.

"It was a really difficult and risky deal to close. Kung hindi ko iyon nakuha ay malaki ang perang mawawala sa kompanya namin. Basically, I just carried our company back to the top." That must be Matteo talking. His voice was so full of confidence, too much actually. He's starting to sound boastful.

"Good for you, Matt." An unfamiliar voice said. Sa dami nilang magkakaibigan, hindi ko alam kung sino na ang nagsasalita ngayon. I only know Leander's voice, and now I also know Matteo's too.

"Cormac? Do you copy? I have ears on the conversation now."

"10 dash 2, Cap. Loud and Clear." Cormac answered.

"But there's nothing unusual yet. Balitaan na lang kita kapag may nakuha na 'ko." I declared.

"Leander, kanina ka pa yata tahimik diyan? May problema ba sa ospital?" Another one of their friends said.

Napataas naman ang aking kilay nang marinig iyon. So, Leander's been quiet all throughout? I wonder why.

"Nothing. Wala namang problema sa ospital." Leander answered.

"Oh? So what's your problem? Babae ba 'yan?" The same guy that asked the question earlier said in a teasing manner.

"Nah, man. It's nothing." Leander insisted.