Chapter 1

He stood in an alleyway alone, sulking around in thoughts of his past as he often found himself doing. That is, until he found another doing something similar.
To be honest he didn't really find her, she just happened to walk past him in the cold night. He could sense several presences, but hers overpowered the rest. Her aura filled the air around her and spilled into the surrounding area. It had a cold and empty feeling that would drive most people off, however he found his feet unknowingly wandering after the trail that had been left.
She was never too far in front of him, just within eyeshot, although neither he nor she really noticed. He only found himself gazing upon her once, and he noticed that she had stopped walking and taken a seat at a curbside bench. Confused on why she would be out at night only to sit on a bench, he payed more attention to her actions, not paying attention to his own.

She sat alone. The cold and worn wood felt just about the same as concrete but she did not complain. Her breaths were varying. Shallow, deep, quick, calm.. As if she couldn't decide her current mood. She hung her head with a loud sigh. Whatever emotion she had decided on was obviously not a positive one.
She held something. Between her delicate fingers was something rather small and old-looking. It's silver cut through the nights atmosphere revealing the entirety of the object. A small rectangular blade. She stared at it intensely as she rotated it between her fingers. Not even she knew what she was planning on doing with it.
She could feel a pit inside her. A vast and empty void attempting to swallow her whole or tear her to shreds. She gently rubbed the blade against her skin to feel the cold metal texture.

The sound of his footsteps stopped her, but she did not look his way. Instead she remained facing opposite his direction and called behind herself.
"Are you following me?" She asked rather bluntly.
He stopped, the realization that he had been following her just hit him.
"Who are you?" She asked, again with a tone that didn't really match the situation.
Rather than answering her he found it easier to change the subject completely, "...You're out pretty late at night, huh?" His voice was low and unchanging.
"Yep"
"Why..?" He asked.
"I could ask you the same." She replied, finally turning her head over her shoulder to face him for the first time.

His appearance was very different from anything she had ever seen, however she hadn't yet decided whether or not she liked it. He wore almost all blue, matching his icy hair. His face depicted a lack of interest or motivation. His eyes shined red carrying dark circles underneath them.
Her appearance was also something he rarely saw. Dark worn clothing that would definitely not fit in in the town they were currently in. A long necklace that had a small bell on it, he had heard its faint jingle as she walked. Her jacket way too large for her although she wore it anyways and her face held a slight frown that was seemingly permanent.

He found himself walking over to the bench to stand beside her so she wouldn't need to be turned around. He barely noticed as she tucked away the object in her hands. Their gazes met, but only for a second before both found themselves looking in other directions.
"..You should go home." He stated more as a command than a suggestion. Her glare told him 'no' so he found himself adding some reasoning to his statement, "Its not safe to be out at night..."
Although her glare softened it did not disappear as she spoke, "I'm sure I can handle myself. And besides, if it's not safe for me then why would it be safe for you."
"It's different..." he released a sigh with his words, both in frustration from the girl and admittance to himself of his own problems.
She seemed upset by his answer, "No. It's not, what makes it so-"
"Just please go home.." He cut in. He was beginning to grow tired of her although they only met a few minutes prior.
She glanced up at him to see what kind of expression he held. It was hard to tell what it was, but easy to tell it wasn't the generic face shown by most guys that acted as if they were stronger than her.
Satisfied with his sincerity, a smirk slid onto her face as she looked into the direction of her home, "Take me there." She said, her tone much softer than usual.
This struck the boy. He thought as if he didn't hear her correctly, "what..?"
"If you want me to go home so badly, then walk me home." She looked up to him with her same small smirk.
"Why..?"
"Like you said, it's not safe to be out at night." She replied satisfied that she had used his words as her own. She waited for his final answer.
He looked down at her and watched as she swung her legs slowly, back and forth from where they hung off the bench. Her face was different without the frown, although it was still faintly apparent.
Seeing her like this, although it was not anything special, made him want to walk her home, but part of him thought he shouldn't. He could feel himself rolling his eyes and muttering out the word, "fine..."