Chapter 11

The silent torment continued, Kuro left powerless against the demon in his sleep.

~

The rain had poured down nonstop for days. (Y/n)'s daily schedule seemed as if it were on an exact repeat. Hours of wasted life just waiting for dawn, morning medication and whatever passed for breakfast that day, hanging out with the tired Servamp if he happened to be awake, and the occasional snacks and nap.
The only plus side was the time spent with her companion, Kuro. Throughout the days they had time to spend together only strengthening their relationship, although neither took it into thought. Any awkwardness between them had dissolved leaving them to speak freely to each other, even if it were slightly offensive. And although they both continued to hold their thick outer shells, they were much more comfortable with each other than anyone else before.

Unfortunately, there was one thing girl had noticed about Kuro. Ever since he had nonchalantly told her that he couldn't sleep well, she had found that he in fact was continuously missing out on his nights of sleep. She had a slight assumption that he was suffering from the occasional nightmare, but there was no honest way of knowing exactly what was wrong without him explaining.

~

(Y/n) yawned pouring herself a glass of iced tea. It was currently about 2 in the morning and although she felt extremely tired, sleep just wasn't available. She was starting to get jealous of her Servamp. Just this night she went to take a quick shower and when she came out he was already asleep in her bed. Luckily she had stolen the blankets without waking him so she'd be warm throughout the night.

The girl huffed and put away everything she had used except her glass of tea. She took sips and watched the television from across the apartment. She spent maybe another hour just watching tv, trying to waste the surplus of time she had on her hands.
For some reason her sleeping had been worse recently, which was disheartening since it had looked like it was improving just a few days ago. She was tired most of the day, and was lucky that she could use the rain as an excuse to not go out. Even right now she could feel how the gravity was attempting to pull her down and how tired her body was but of course, there was no hope for actually falling asleep.

After finishing her drink, and a few more minutes of tv, she sighed deciding that she'd try and rest a bit on the couch. She turned to the sink and set her glass down in the bottom to be washed later. Almost the exact moment after she did so, she heard the click of the door closing, followed by the sound of the bell that would ring quietly with every step that was taken.
(Y/n) turned to see Kuro standing at the hall. His unchanging tired face had a series's of emotions faintly showing. He looked up to her for a moment, their gazes met before he quickly looked away and headed to the living room without a word. In the moment she has caught his eyes she could tell clear as day, another presumed nightmare, his eyes were the one thing on his emotionally masked face that gave away how he really felt.

On usual nights he only came out for water or some other distraction. This time, however, seemed to be worse for him than usual. He remained silent with a pale expression and sat alone in the front room.
(Y/n) confronted him the same way she always did when he seemed upset. It was simple but she never wanted to press him. "Kuro..?" She called, "You okay?"
There was no change in his routine, he gave no response. He was exhausted and shaken and didn't want her involved.
She sighed and thought for a moment. He had been doing the same thing every time he was upset, ignoring her. Granted, she did something similar if she wasn't well but that wasn't the point. They were close and she wanted things to change. She wanted to be able to help.