Chapter 3

'Screw it'

He slowly reached his hand out to hers, grasping the thin strap that held the small golden bell. She let the necklace fall from her fingers into his. He tightened his grip around the necklace.
At that moment a vivid electric blue appeared. The bright energy surrounded the two before slowly settling in a chain-like pattern around both the figures. It locked into connecting the two, the energy around her wrist and Kuro's neck. In an instant the newly settled energy dissolved, leaving as soon as it had arrived. Both figures stood looking at each other blankly.
"What... the heck..?"she spoke up, more confused than anything.
Kuro sighed as if already regretting his decision, "uhm.. yeah that's a thing.."
"That's a thing? What. Is that-? What are you?"
"Explaining is so hard..." he sighed in exhaustion, "First off, I'm nothing special.. just your kind-hearted neighborhood vampire-"
"Wait wait wait wait wait" she cut him off as soon as she had heard him, "A vampire? I'm not sure the word 'vampire' counts as 'nothing special'"
He felt almost annoyed, "trust me, I'm not special."
After a few exchanged glares she finally gave up and asked for a continued explanation. He groaned as if it was a hassle to explain to her what was happening but she told him to continue nonetheless.
"By granting me a name and an item you and I formed a contract or something like that..." he shrugged.
"How are you so uncaring about this? What kind of contract?"
"Well you see, vampires like me belong to whoever they form a contract with. They get blood from their masters and in exchange they have to do whatever they're ordered, even if it's bothersome..."
"Wait so you belong to me..?" She asked. Her face looked almost worried for a moment.
"Agh, so many questions... the contract we formed is temporary. If I don't drink your blood in the next 24 hours it'll be automatically cancelled, but we have to stay together until then..." he sighed and looked to the floor. When he made the decision he never took into account how exhausting it would be to have to explain everything. It was one of the many reasons he never wanted an eve in the first place.
"24 hours? Oh god that means you're going to have to stay with me doesn't it..? Jeez, I'm sorry.." she sighed and looked down to her feet. She felt bad that he would have to stay with her now.
'What? Why is she sorry?' He began to think 'she's easily the weirdest person I've ever met...' He huffed and gazed towards the door to her apartment. They were still standing outside and he knew that warmth was on the other side.
He glanced back down at the sorry girl and sighed, "whatever. Let's go inside, I'm cold..." He began to walk towards the door not waiting for her consent.

Her gaze followed him and soon her feet did too. Kuro let himself inside and she followed behind and shut the door. He acted as if her home was his and sat himself on the couch, she stood in front of him with many mixed emotions swirling inside of her. They both existed by one another in silence.
"So what, you're gonna just sit there without explaining more?"
"...you're not afraid?" He went ahead and changed the subject. It was the easiest thing for him to do, and he wondered about the girl in front of him.
"No" she said, matter of fact-ly. "I'd like to think that if you were going to do something to me you would've already done it."
"...Most people wouldn't care, they'd still be scared.."
"Well I'm not most people" she had her hands placed in her hips, slightly irritated that he would change the subject in an instant and think nothing of it. "But that leaves me a question... why were you following me earlier?"
Kuro looked away and shrugged his shoulders. To be honest her didn't know himself why he had followed her. There wasn't a definite reason.
"Why did you follow me?" She repeated slowly. She leaned slightly closer to him waiting for a reply.
"There... were other vampires around.. I didn't want anyone causing problems.. you or them." He sighed after settling on his answer.
"Me?" She scoffed "yeah cuz I'm gonna go pick a fight with a vampire" her voice was laced with sarcasm.
"No but if they attacked you and you got away you'd report them..."
"What makes you think that?"
"That's what most people would do..." his low voice provided the same assumption.
She paused for a moment to squint her eyes as if trying to read his mind. "I'm not most people... heck, I invited a stalker into my house is that what most would do??"
"...I'm not a stalker" he interjected.
"Then give me one reason- a good reason, why you were following me around."
He took a deep breath. His glance up to her face revealed that she would just wait for him to answer, so silence wasn't an option. 'Why did I follow her?' He asked himself. 'What was I doing before hand? I was thinking.. I was alone like usual.. and then she walked by, she was alone too. Was she thinking about things too..?'
He remembered when she had first brushed past him. He remembered her face and the way he could almost feel what she was feeling in second her aura crossed his path. Could this be what drew him towards her? It was possible he felt bad for her, she was upset at the time. It was possible that he felt the same way.

"Your eyes were puffy..."
"What?"
He continued as if she wasn't there, "your face was still pink, as if you had been crying... It's barely noticeable anymore... you had something with you, some kind of knife, yes?" Now his gaze was fixed on her, their eyes locked.
"How..how did you-"
"What were you planning to do..?"
"It's none of your business!"
He stopped and lowered his eyes to the floor once more. He had upset her and he knew it. It wasn't what he intended but he couldn't control himself, something about her made him unable to. After a few moments left in silence for her to calm down he decided to continue.
"I don't know why I kept behind you... I was upset at the time and I saw you and.. I dunno... I'm done talking about it..." his voice progressed to a low mumble. It was difficult for him to process the way he felt. He didn't even know what he felt. He just knew that whatever it was.. He couldn't deal with it right now.