Chapter 36

"You okay kuro? You seem needy" (y/n) asked as she flipped through tv channels. Kuro was resting his head on her shoulder, he had seemed really affectionate all day today.
"I dunno" he shrugged and traced imaginary shapes on the girl's leg. "I feel weird..." he mumbled.
"What kind of weird..?" (Y/n) asked.
Kuro shrugged and sat up. He had felt off today and he didn't know why. It wasn't enough to be harmful, he still went through his day and spent time with (y/n) without any problem. But the feeling was definitely there and he couldn't figure out what it was.
The girl checked the time on her phone and looked over to kuro, "maybe dinner will take your mind off of it? It's almost time to get ready" she suggested.
"Maybe." He agreed.

After about an hour the two left home and began the walk to the restaurant they were eating at. It was a little further than they would've liked but (y/n) was fine with it. Kuro on the other hand decided it was too much trouble and let himself be carried in his other form. (Y/n) didn't mind, it was a lazy excuse to be closer to kuro.

~

"I have eyes on the two, should we engage"
"Do you see how many people are out right now?? when the contract breaks, we'll have to be careful who's around. We have to wait"
"Alright, we'll keep watch on them until it's time"

~

     Once the two arrived and were seated they ordered foods similar to what they usually liked. (Y/n) smiled and leaned slightly on the table, looking at kuro.
"Thank you" she grinned.
"For what?" He asked, confused.
"Agreeing to go out with me, I can tell you weren't really feeling like leaving the house and all" she replied.
"Oh, it's fine.." kuro mumbled. He was surprised it even meant anything to her. It was true that he felt uneasy, but after spending some more time with her it started to fade.
As the time passed on kuro's pervious unsettlement had vanished. Being with (y/n) even for a simple meal was comforting. He didn't express it well but he loved being able to spend times like this with her.
Although the two had a little small talk here and there, there wasn't much conversation between them. Neither of them were great at having conversations, but that didn't matter much. On of the best things about their relationship was just having each other. They didn't need too many interactions or social skills to be together. They just enjoyed each other's presence.

After their meal and a while of just sitting together and chatting here and there (y/n) decided it was about time to leave. The girl payed for their food before standing up and waiting for kuro to join her and exit. After a moment kuro finally joined her, taking his cat form on top of her shoulder.
(Y/n) walked out of the restaurant and was surprised to see that it was a little darker outside than she anticipated. She sighed and started to make her way home, noticing that there wasn't as many people on the streets anymore. Her surrounding were vaguely quiet, and something about it was creepy. She stopped walking and looked around at the setting.
     "Uh, kuro-"
     Before she could say anything, he changed forms and stood beside her. He squinted at his surroundings, "I have a bad feeling right now..." he mumbled.
     "Yeah, me too.. things seem.. off" (y/n) replied. She looked up to him only to see that he was surveying the area like he had done before. "We better get home." She said, reaching for his hand for a sense of comfort. He took it, nonverbally agreeing to walk by her side.
     They walked for a few more minutes in the thick air, feeling suspicious about their surroundings. They turned the corner but found themselves at a dead end.
     "What? But this is the way we came?" (y/n) said. How could their surrounding have changed?
     Kuro felt that something was wrong. He felt that same uneasiness he had experienced for the past few days all over again. He was reminded of the demon's twisted warnings. The vampire knew that this feeling he had meant something. Kuro held (y/n)'s hand tighter and huffed, "we need to get out of here.." he mumbled. The girl nodded and they decided to turn around, but something was blocking their path. Three men wearing white coats stood in their way.

     "Hey, you two~ it's been a while hasn't it?" One of the men greeted.
     Another nudged him with his weapon and groaned, "don't be so unprofessional"

     It was c3. (Y/n) groaned to herself at the sight of them. Why did they always have to mess with them? "What do you people want this time?? Why can't you leave us alone!" (Y/n) asked, a series of emotions bubbling up inside of her.

     "We don't want anything"
"We're just doing our job" they replied.

Kuro looked down to (y/n). She stood strong but he could see the fear in her eyes. He let go of her hand and pushed her behind him slightly.
"And what is your job this time..?" He asked coldly.

"To eliminate any posing threats on our radar"

The three men readied their weapons and leaped at the sloth pair. Kuro pushed (y/n) back and held them off momentarily.
(Y/n) backed up with wide eyes as she watched the attack start. After all the things that c3 had done she was terrified to see them again but she needed to be strong. She stumbled to her feet and summoned her lead.
"Kuro!" She yelled, watching him fend off the attack.
He pushed the three man back, allowing for (y/n) to join him. She raised her wrist up to him and he willingly pierced his fangs into her skin, activating his strength. The men came at them again but this time the two were able to fight.
     (Y/n) and kuro stood close, they were strong together. The three men attacked them from different sides but the sloth pair could keep them back without too much trouble. It seemed at the men were getting tired, but right as it did, one of them sent several black rods through the ground knocking the girl away from kuro.
     "(Y/n)- agh!" Kuro yelled, but was cut short as a bullet was sent through his arm. He knew that they couldn't afford to be separated in this situation, but he couldn't get back to her with these guys on him. He'd have to trust that she could hold her own.

     (Y/n) quickly got back onto her feet but knew she and kuro weren't together anymore. The man before her held a large electric baton and some knives. Before she even had a chance to asses the situation further, the man ran at her with the baton. She ducked out of the way and kicked him in the back causing him to fall on the ground and lose his baton.
     "You're making this more difficult that it has to be.." He growled and stood back up, lunging at her again.

     Kuro jumped out of the way on the black cage that attempted to trap him. The man with the gun shot at him again, luckily they were close misses and hit the ground and the walls behind them. One of the men lunged at him as he was regaining his balance, but kuro managed to kick him away sending him into the nearby building.
'Okay... so that's one.' He thought to himself as he caught his breath. He glanced back at (y/n) to check on her, hearing a gunshot wiz past him again. He turned back to the assailant, ready to get rid of this one too.

     (Y/n) was knocked down suddenly by something other than the man she was fighting against. She heard the loud shots being fired at kuro and felt a burning pressure in her side, but there was no time to focus on that now. The man rushed at her again and she planted her foot in his stomach, stopping him long enough for her to get back up. The man groaned and stood back up, running at her and attempting to hit her anywhere he could land his fist. She avoided as much as she could but still sustained some hits as she attempted to fight back with her lead. Soon enough, she got a solid hit on the man's neck sending him back.
     "Kuro!" She yelled looking over to him.
     He heard her and kicked his attacker away before rushing over. Everyone had been taken care of and they needed to leave before that changed. He grabbed her with his arms around her waist, before jumping into the air and managing to land on a rooftop several blocks away.

     "Damnit! They got away" one of the men groaned as he got up.
     "Leave them.." the one with the gun said.
     "But the contract is still intact"
     "It won't be for long..."

~

     Kuro landed and let go of (y/n), stepping forward to lean on the nearby wall. He had taken a beating. But it would all heal. The important thing is that he was able to get (y/n) and himself out of there before anything bad happened. He held his injured arm and winced.
     "You okay, (y/n)..?" He groaned, still trying to catch his breath.
     The air was silent behind him, he didn't receive an answer. All he heard was a shaky breath from the girl behind him.
     "(y/n)..?"