Chapter 24: The Five

Renee:

Loki and I went to sit down inside the gazebo.

He was staring off into the distance, clearly troubled by our conversation.

I tapped his shoulder. "Should I ask what else is on your mind?"

He exhaled heavily and adjusted his posture so that he was sitting upright and glanced over to me.

"I take it you feel that a war is coming."

I nodded. "What's bothering you about it?"

"Ullr."

Hmm.

"You mean because you helped him start the last one, then you realised you were on the losing side and flipped-flopped?"

He gaped at me.

I was just going off of pure speculation but I thought I was on to something.

"You helped him to kill Baldr because he got into your head, telling you that as long as Baldr lived you will never rule Asgard. Not to mention Thor was also a favourite, but he was never interested in taking over; so you felt that Baldr was your biggest obstacle and played right into his plan."

He stared at me blankly not saying anything, there was no famous Loki clap back or any sarcastic humour.

"Odin was so distraught by the loss of his most beloved son that he left and put Ullr in charge in his absence didn't he?"

He opened his mouth to say something but no words came.

Oh my God! I was actually right???

"Let me guess. Odin punished you and banished you to Svartalfheim with the dark elves where you had to stay."

He clapped slowly and smirked at me.

"Well..." he paused, "you've almost figured it all out. I was called back to Asgard a decade after the war, when everyone was certain that Ullr had left completely."

"Does Odin trust you?"

"To an extent." He shrugged.

Hmm. I shook my head, "I guess Odin really does have a soft spot for sons."

"Don't patronise me, love." He sulked.

He looked really cute and vulnerable sulking, it was almost... well... human.

I smiled to myself.

"So are you going to be staying on our side this time?" I raised a brow at him.

He bit his lip and looked away from me.

"I really wouldn't like to have to fight you out there," I teased, "besides I would much rather have you as an ally anyway."

He chuckled, "I'd prefer if you stayed away from the battle, you're just a human. You haven't even eaten the fruit like William did, at least he would stand a small chance out there."

"Hah," I grinned, "someone actually cares about humans."

"Just you." He held my hand. "Really, you shouldn't be anywhere close by when this all goes down," he paused, "you should go back to Midgard."

"No." I shook my head angrily, "How could you think I would ever leave Kaylee and William behind?"

"They can handle themselves!" He snapped.