Chapter 10: Banquet

Kaylee:

We walked out onto the castle grounds. There were fiddles playing as people were dancing around a fire laughing and drinking.

Sjofn led us up to Odin’s table. A regal looking lady was sitting next to Odin, she was gorgeous but I could tell she was mature. I assumed she was Frigg.

When she realized I was staring at her she smiled at me. I smiled back and looked away quickly.

Sjofn stopped next to William and Sif. I hadn’t even recognized him dressed in the traditional Norse male tunic. I touched his shoulder and sat next to them. I looked over in front of me to see Thor approaching the table.

He pulled out his chair and smiled at me.

I smiled nodding to him.

Odin tapped his chalice, and the music stopped.

I looked over at him confused.

He stood up making a toast. “Thor has returned!”

Everyone cheered and raised their chalices in celebration.

“Now, let’s eat and dance to our hearts content.” Odin drank and sat back down.

“It’s about time you came back.”

A tall blonde, with curls walked up next to Thor with a pitcher in her hands.

“Not now Idun,” Thor looked up at her, “where is Bragi?”

She shrugged, “Probably off trying to seduce some poor handmaiden with his poetry.”

I raised my brow at her.

She looked over at me, “I take it you must be Kaylee.”

 “I am.” I furrowed my brows at her.

She shot me a warm smile and I soften looking at her.

“It’s nice to finally see you, Kaylee.” She nodded at me and walked away.

I glared at Thor skeptically.

He smiled at me and looked away nervously.

“This is weirdly good.” Renee said with a full mouth. “You need to get in on this Kay.”

“Do you even know what you’re eating?”

“It’s meat and it’s yummy.” She sipped her wine.

I shook my head and reluctantly took a bite of something I assume was a leg of pork.

“So?” Renee grinned at me.

I took another bite, “It’s good.”

“Try the bread with some of that butter.” William pointed.

I shrugged and tried it. It was amazing. Who would have thought you could think butter was amazing?

I finished my plate and looked over at Thor. He was still trying to avoid eye contact with me.

I got up to walk over to him but Sjofn stopped me and told me to follow her.

……………………………………………………………

Sjofn led Kaylee to into a garden. The flowers were mostly wild but beautiful. We walked up to a pond, surrounded by golden statutes of the Gods and Goddesses.

Odin stood looking down into the pond as Sjofn led her next to him. On seeing her reflection in the water, Odin turned to them.

Sjofn bowed to Odin and then took her leave.

Kaylee looked at him confused, her brows furrowed.

He gave her a slight smile. “My son seems to think you can change my mind about humans and Midgard.”

“I guess that depends on your opinion.” She raised a brow at him.

“My opinion?”

She nodded to him.

“Humans have are greedy. They lie, kill and cheat all to suit their own gain.” He shook his head, “It seems to me all you do is create even more ways to torture each other, all the way getting riches off of it. Humans lack compassion; they ignore the weak and anything that doesn’t serve to advance themselves.”

“Your opinion is based on a select few.” She glared at him. “Not all of us are like that. Some of us genuinely do have concern for others.”

“Like you?”

“Yes like me!” She fumed.

Odin laughed, “Kaylee, I do know of those who are good in your world, but my disdain are for those who are not. I know about you Kaylee. Thor didn’t need to get you to prove that humans are worth saving to me-”

“What do you mean worth saving?” She furrowed her brows.

“I believe you know of Ragnarok.”

“Do you mean the end of the world?”

“Of all worlds,” Odin sighed, “even we must die when it comes. The legend goes that Ragnarok will occur after natural disasters and theretofore the submersion of Midgard under water… The world will resurface new and fertile, the surviving and returning Gods will meet, and the world will be repopulated by two human survivors.”

Kaylee gasped, “So the real reason you can’t stand humans is global warming?”

Odin gaped at her, “Well you can put it that way. The years of manipulation and burning of fossil fuels by humans will allow for the melting of the polar ice caps, therefore bringing Ragnarok to a start.”

Kaylee frowned at him and he patted her shoulder.

There was an echoing slap and Renee’s voice followed.

Kaylee and Odin ran out of the garden to see Renee glaring at Loki.

“Loki!” Odin shouted.

“Hello father,” Loki grinned not taking his off of Renee. “I see you’re having a feast without me.”

“You’re supposed to be keeping an eye on the Dark Elves.” Odin heaved at him.

“Oh please relax father,” Loki glanced at him, “I’ve already neutralized their threats.”

“Oh and how have you managed that?” Odin raised a brow at him.

“I have my ways.”

He smirked looking back to Renee who was still glaring at him angrily. Loki is intrigued as to how she managed to slap him and wants to know about her. Kaylee grabbed Renee's arm and pulled her away from him.

Loki smiled at them taking a seat at the table drinking his wine like nothing happened.

Odin shook his head and pulled him by his horned helmet into the castle irately.