Chapter 25: The Truth

William:

We all stood in shock at what just happened with Loki and Renee.

Kaylee was pacing up and down frantically with Thor not too far behind.

Hyrrokkin, Forseti and Hermod chattered among themselves trying to make sense of it all.

Sif sat beside me on the ground.

"Are you alright?"

I nodded, "I'm as okay as I can be with all that's happening."

She squeezed my hand and smiled softly to me.

I exhaled and shook my arms out trying to relax.

"Tell me... What really happened with Baldr?"

She frowned, "I've already told you before, Will."

"Yes," I sighed, "But, I want to know the true story, what really happened?"

She paused and looked away from me for a moment.

"Please." I begged.

"If I tell you this, promise me you won't tell Kaylee... at least not yet."

I nodded, "I promise."

She exhaled heavily, crouching closer to me as she whispered...

"When Frig and Odin had Baldr he was the brightest light that they... well, that any of us had ever seen. He was pure and precious, and is still the most beautiful God that has ever lived in Asgard.

One day Baldr suddenly became weak... Frig and Odin, they went to the ends of all realms to heal him and when he recovered, Frig was so worried for his health that she begged all the animals and all the plants to swear an oath never to harm Baldr. But, Frig made one grave mistake when she neglected to ask the mistletoe to swear the oath, she thought that it was too fragile to do him any harm.

Baldr was better for a long time after that, and he was loved and revered by all. Baldr and the other Gods would play games with him standing in the middle of the ring, as they took turns hitting him with anything they could find, watching as they would all just bounce off of him, not leaving a single scratch.

Ullr was envious of all of Odin's favoured sons, including Loki. But Loki never believed that he was loved as much as the others were, and he let that jealousy get the better of him. When Ullr went to him about his plan to get rid of Baldr, Loki visited Frig in disguise and found out that she had begged all the animals and plants to swear an oath, except for the mistletoe.

Loki used that information to trick the blind god Hodr into throwing a mistletoe at Baldr, which killed him. After he died, Odin sent his most loyal son Hermod to Hel to ask her if she would allow Baldr to come back. She told him that Baldur could only return from Hel, if all of the beings from the nine realms cried for him.

But Loki disguised himself again, this time as the giantess Tokk, refusing to cry resulting in Baldr being damned to stay there.

This is why Frig speaks so calmly of Ragnarok because she knows she will be reunited with Baldr and everyone else she loves again after the world ends."

She wiped away the tears from eyes trying to regain her composure.

"Does everyone know about this?"

"Yes," she relaxed on the ground, "all the Gods know about this."

"Do you think Thor will tell Kaylee?"

"Maybe." she shrugged with a frown, "I guess he will tell her when he thinks she's ready to know."

"I doubt that she'll ever be ready to know, Sif." I sighed, "There can never be a right time to find that out, but Kaylee's one of the strongest women I know, and she'll probably never trust Loki if she knew about this, but I think she needs to know."