Chapter 28: Legacy

Renee:

I paced around our room, my mind was going around in circles as I tried to understand what went down last night.

I looked over to see Kaylee still asleep.

This surprised me. Normally she'd be awake throughout the night, keeping me up with her, worried out of her... well, our minds.

I exhaled heavily.

How can she sleep though?

I shook my head and looked out the window.

Fulla was outside by gazebo picking wild flowers blissfully.

'Must be nice', I thought slouching down on the lounge. She didn't even seem to be affected by any of this... or maybe that's just how she coped with things.

I observed her for a while going about the garden. She meticulously picked every flower and placed them into her hand basket. She went briskly back and forth, from the gazebo to the pond, her movements almost childlike. The joy on her face clear for all to see.

I smiled as I watched her, it was weirdly calming and I forgot about our troubles for a little bit.

"Ren?"

I heard Kaylee's groggy voice call my name.

I looked around to see her rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Why are you up so early?" She squinted at me not fully awake.

I giggled.

"Couldn't sleep much." I shrugged, "I feel a bit... meh."

"Yeah," she stretched her arms out, "I felt a bit anxious too," she paused, "...but after analyzing it, I realised Ullr isn't as ominous as I thought."

"Really?" I gaped at her, "How did you arrive at that conclusion?" I exhaled, "Everyone is uneasy right now! Especially about him."

She shrugged, "I just know it." she shook her head, "I know we don't have all of the details yet or anything, but, somehow Ullr feels like the least of my concerns."

"Well glad to know you're at ease, but the rest of us haven't reached that level of calm yet."

"You have a right to be worried." she got out of bed, "I'm not oblivious to the fact that he poses a great threat to us all, Ren. I just feel like if we stick together we'll win, no matter what." She sat next to me and took my hands, "Ren, he's alone. It's us against him."

"... and Loki." I mumbled under my breath.

"We don't even know if Loki's joined him yet."

I furrowed my brows at her absolutely dumbfounded, "Did you hit your head?"

"Ren!" she smirked, "Loki has someone that he doesn't want to lose now... YOU!"

"He literally said not to think too highly of him, Kay."

"Uh huh." she said completely ignoring my struggle to wrap my head around Loki having a complete change of heart.

"Kay..." I shook my head, "I can't even right now! It's great that you're so confident in us, and I can appreciate you trying to root for Loki, but..."

"But what?" She threw her hands up, "He loves you Ren. You know it."

"Yes but he's still Loki, god of mischief."

"With a Renee shaped piece in his heart." She smirked.

I shook my head at her.

"He'll come around." she shot me a confident smile, "If not... well, then I was wrong."