Routine (One-shot)

Tag: Hurt/Comfort

Where you visit the cemetery every day to pay your deceased friend a visit. Except there is always a guy there who visits a grave nearby, he usually looks like he's dealing just fine but today he is crying.

Usually rain is something you love, the noise soothes you to sleep and calms your nerves. However, it was neither the time nor place for it to suddenly begin pouring down like the dams of heaven opened. The rusty cemetery gates were barely visible through torrential rainfall, making it difficult to judge where the latch was located.

"Really" You muttered, latch slipping out of your grasp for the third time. Another heave later and the barrier opens with a loud screech, causing nearby crows to scatter in a flurry of caws and feathers.

At this point you were drenched from head to toe, blaming yourself for forgetting an umbrella as you trudged through thick mud in only your tennis shoes. The wet substance squished under your feet with every step as it invaded your once clean socks. Thankfully, the tombstone was only a few more steps away, it's surface shining with water as nearby streetlights flickered to life.

Your friend had passed away nearly a month ago, so the pain wasn't nearly as hard as it was a week or two ago. Still, you clutched a white carnation in your fist, willing the tears to stay in your eyes.

"I miss you" You sighed, setting the crisp white flower on top of your friend's resting place, it's white petals becoming soiled. This was a daily routine, leave your apartment, walk to the cemetery, and bring a flower in remembrance. The rain was new, however, nothing would stop you from fulfilling the promise you made long ago.

Your tired eyes roamed over the ground, seeing wilted flowers you bought a while ago mixed in with newer ones, a bloom of life on top of withering death. The coincidental thought made your breath hitch.

A sob broke through the sound of heavy rainfall, not belonging to you, only rain coated your cheeks. Quickly, you turned around, frantically looking for the source of the noise through wet lashes.

To your right was a figure, their silhouette blurry from the thick wall of rain, however, you knew who it was based on the grave they were kneeled over. Everyday no matter what there was always a guy sitting about seven graves away, a bouquet clutched in his shaky hands.

Sometimes he would just sit and others he would talk in a hushed voice, the flowers he brought always made the grave look lively and happy. However, he would never look upset, just calm and collected, like he was dealing just fine with whatever tragedy happened.

Today was a different story.

"Hey, are you alright?" You called, standing up with a grimace as mud and water soaked your leggings. Suddenly, the crying quieted, now just a slight hum in the rushing sound of water as it dumped into a nearby drain. Silently, you began to walk towards the silhouette, pushing back your soaked hair with cold fingers and a shaky breath.

The closer you became the louder the noise reverberated off each solid tombstone. First thing you made out was the slouched figure of the man, then the rain drenched hair being mercilessly pulled upon. The beautiful flowers he brought everyday that ranged from all kinds of different colors were now nothing but crushed petals covered in mud, strewn across the ground in a messy fashion.

However, the flowers were not the most heartbreaking thing, it was the suppressed sobs that wracked not only the man's body, but your own. Each helpless whimper was the equivalent of nails on a chalk board, eliciting a flinch every time. You weren't exactly the best at comforting people, but you had to stop the heartbreaking sobs.