Fireworks Look Better In Your Eyes (One-Shot)

"Are you kidding me???" You basically screamed, eyeing Mike's beaten suburban from across the street. It wasn't the terrible paint job or even the fact that he had duct tape for a window, no, it was the trunk full of fireworks.

"How much did you pay for all of that?" You asked, stepping off the nearby curb of Freddy's in order to greet the cyan eyed male. A snort emerged from the driver's side, the owner hopping out from within as he gave the squeaky door a slam. "Let's just say it costs the equivalent of ten paychecks" He answered, walking around the vehicle to stand beside you.

It was the Fourth Of July and it seemed Mike was either 1) really into the tradition or 2) secretly obsessed with anything that explodes. The latter seemed to be the case based on his current expression, eyeing the boxes inside with a glint behind dull eyes.

Currently the two of you were the only ones here yet, the sun was beginning to set and soon it would be time to set off the many fireworks within the small suburban. Scott wasn't going to be there due to a very nasty flu that a child managed to inflict upon him, he wouldn't have enjoyed the festivities anyway. However, Jeremy and Fritz were on the way from the local dollar store with many glowsticks and bracelets. You told them they didn't have to but Jeremy insisted that if one of you gets horribly lost he would be able to spot the cheap things from a distance.

"Vincent is on his way" Mike suddenly spoke, pocketing his phone with a grunt as the sounds of tires crunching filled the silence. Fritz's Kia rolled into the parking lot with a very loud beep and excited holler out the window, red hair tangling in the breeze as he leaned out the window. Noticeably just as excited but trying to hide it, was Jeremy, a beaming smile on his face as a multitude of bags sat in his lap.

Both males hopped out the small car once successfully parked, one basically shaking with excitement while the other immediately began inspecting the pyrotechnics. Soon the empty lot was filled with friendly chatter and laughter, only one individual missing from the fray as night soon fell.

"Hey, is Vincent here yet?" You asked, helping Jeremy open up the glowstick bracelets and necklaces from a sitting position on the curb. Nobody gave an answer as you began cracking a bright purple bracelet to life, an uneasy feeling washing over you.

Just as you connected the ends together something quickly plopped on top of your head, eliciting a squeak from your throat. "Just got here, doll" a familiar voice cooed, earning them only an eye roll and piece of broken asphalt to the chest as you heaved it backwards.

"I came here to have a good time and I honestly feel so attacked right now" Vincent chuckled, purple hair coming into view as he plopped down ungracefully beside you, black converse tapping your shoe lightly. "This is a lot of glowsticks" He commented, looking over at Jeremy as the boy finished the last one off with a sigh and quick nod.

He was right, once completely done there was the equivalent of a mountain in front of you, more than enough for everyone. Mike grabbed all of the blue ones, Jeremy grabbed the greens, Fritz with the reds, and Vincent with the purples.

"I'm pretty sure planes can see us right now" you chuckled, shaking the many bracelets on your arms and around your neck as they shimmered beneath the dark sky. They went all the way up to your forearms and at least ten resided around your neck, one perched atop your head like a crown.

"I think it's time for fireworks!" Mike yelled, earning hollers and excited yells from all of you as he quickly began unloading the many boxes out his car. It would take quite a while to set all of them up and such, Fritz was happy to help along with Jeremy observing from a safe distance. Silently, you took your spot on a nearby grassy hill, picking at the grass as laughter echoed off the nearby building.

"You look lonely over here" Vincent's voice called, his glowing figure coming up the hill with hands in his hoodie pockets. His jeans seemed to also glow beneath the harsh light of the glowing jewelry, purple sweatshirt becoming even more noticeable.

"Mind if I take a seat?" He asked, towering over you as the chatter never ceased below. You simply nodded, patting the grass beside you as the man plopped down. The night air was becoming cool along with the comfortable aura, awkward silence ensuing along the rolling hill.

"Jeremy sure seems excited about this" Vincent spoke, a fond chuckle vibrating beside you as your eyes traveled to the tiny brunette below. His green eyes seemed even wider and brighter than ever, his usual fearful gaze holding something more happy and relaxed. Animatronics and death seemed to be pushed to the back of everyone's mind tonight.

"Yeah, I have a feeling he doesn't usually get these kinds of things" you added, relaxing slightly into the small talk. A hum of agreement was all that was offered into the night sky, Mike hollering as he lifted the lighter in his hand to the sky. Something akin to a smile etched onto your face, watching your friends enjoy themselves for once.

"Hey, I have to ask you something.." Vincent muttered softly, calling your attention to the lounging figure at your side. Either the two of you somehow got closer or the dark was playing tricks on your eyes.

Many expressions convulsed across the man's features, mouth frozen in a response to his previous statement. Just as he was about to speak, a screech echoed off the building along with a loud boom. Flashes of light reflected off Vincent's surprised face, white eyes widening exponentially.

"Woah..." you mused, eyes casting upwards to look at the display ahead. Fireworks of different colors and designs spread along the horizon with loud noises, birds in the distance bursting from their trees loudly. The aforementioned conversation was quickly dissipating like the glowing embers cooling as they dropped. All words floated away in the night breeze along with the laughter from below, fading away in the vastness of night.

"This is beautiful" you muttered, hand outstretched to the open air, a firework exploding behind the limb in a burst of color. The aching of your cheeks was thanks to a big smile, giddy feelings coursing through your veins like blood. "It really is..." Vincent answered, his voice seeming distant and distracted.

Quickly, you glanced to your side, immediately catching the man's intense stare. A fond smile graced his lips along with half lidded eyes, a dopey look that made you slightly chuckle.

"You're not even looking at the fireworks" You retorted, slightly pushing his shoulder with a light touch, watching as he fell over onto his back. The loud laughter coming from the grass made you raise a brow, observing the man as he slung an arm over his eyes.

"Why should I look directly at the fireworks when they look much better in your eyes" Vincent mumbled, arm moving slightly to reveal one bright eye, smirk evident behind its place underneath the dangling limb. The booming in the distance was quickly forgotten as you choked on air, sputtering into your palm. Heat spread to your cheeks as you looked away, huffing out an exasperated sigh.

Laughter boomed louder than the pyrotechnics above, coming from the suave man. The fireworks that night may have faded out to nothing but something else sparked as well. It was a very small flame, but it was there, and Vincent would never let it die.

(I was listening to 'Tag, you're it' by Melanie Martinez while writing this👌🏻)

Ha! You guys thought you got rid of me but here I am!!! I know this is really fucking late but I've been a very busy person lately. As you guys know I now have two accounts so I'm gonna be even more stressed out lately, so be chill with me while I get everything worked out. Also I'll be going to the beach this upcoming Saturday (On my time, I live in the U.S), so I'll try to update while I'm on the ride there (6 hours of actual hell) and when I'm on the beach. Btw wtf guys!!!!!???? I come back into my account and have 103 notifications, 173 followers, along with 40k reads on this book!!!!!!!! I'm screeching!!!!! Thank you guys so much❤️❤️❤️