Chapter 20

Cece Pov:

"I don't know you tell me." I said grabbing a chair, facing it towards them.

My mother pursed her lips and looked back and forth between both of us.

 "What do you want to know?" She asks finally.

"Well... you can start by telling me what happened and why you lied to me about my dad leaving us?" I answered nonchalantly.

She sniffed. I saw tears well up in her eyes but I couldn't bring myself to feel any remorse.

"I was trying to protect you Cece. You don't know how hard it is raising a child up alone..." She started.

But I cut her off with a laugh.

I wiped away the tears on my face that resulted from me laughing so hard.

She looked at me confused.

"You? you raised a child. Where is the child? Cause it sure ain't me. Can we stop with the jokes now. I got stuff to do and homework to start on that's due next week." I said getting impatient.

Fuck she mean she was tryna protect me, I thought.

She sighed and wiped her tears.

Her whole demeanor changed.

I sat up in my chair ready for whatever she threw my way.

"Alright, I hope you're ready for this since you're obviously grown now you think you can talk to me any type of way." She said staring me down.

I stared her down twice as hard letting her know I wasn't afraid.

"Ok, 1st off to just clean this out of the way I never had cancer. I went bald because I was trying out Amber Cole's look. It didn't quite work out as you can tell." She rolled her eyes.

I tighten up my hands in a tight fist trying to control my anger.

"You were so insistent on helping me. Trying to figure out what's wrong, I thought it would be mean to tell you you're the problem. So, I came up with a plan, I didn't expect for you to come up with the money or anything like that. I thought if you believed I had cancer, when I dipped you wouldn't be too devastated. It was easy too, especially since I had friends who work at the treatment center." She took off her wig.

Her hair had grown, it was curly and short. It looked nice on her, not that I would ever admit it out loud.

She breathed.

"Feels good to take it off" She sighed itching her scalp in the process.

" Well, anyways as for your dad, I set him up. I'm the reason why he's in jail.

Happy.

but I knew if I let you communicate with him you would find out , not only that, he would stop sending money my way and just give it directly to you. no... no. I couldn't have that" She tsked.

I was shaken with anger all over but I willed myself to let her continue.

"Why did you set him up?" I asked to clenched teeth.

She glowered over at me. "You're young, you wouldn't understand but in the real world when you need something you go and get it. And I needed money, lots of it, without your gruesome dad controlling it. I was tired of having to ask for stuff. I wanted to just be able to buy it for myself. That's why I set him up. The only thing I didn't expect to happen and regret happening was Vivian's death, but it had to happen." She said looking far away.