Chapter 29: Pay back

DARA'S POV

Finally, the pageant is over. I can feel my soul leaving my body because of too much exhaustion. I want to rest now, and when i say now, i mean right NOW.

I made my way towards the dressing room to change. I want to go home and tell Appa i won. It's a good thing he wasn't able to come and watch for i don't know what will happen if he did, what with all the drama earlier. He will definitely go berserk.

I went out of the room after changing when i saw a guy leaning against the wall of the corridor. I checked who it was and saw that it was Jaejoong and it seems like he's waiting for someone. His gaze was casted downwards while his hands were tucked inside his pockets. He lifted his head and smiled awkwardly before taking a few tentative steps towards me.

"H-Hey Dara. Can i talk to you for a minute?" He said as he scratched the back of his head.

"Jae..."

"Please? This won't take long." He pleaded. I nodded in response and waited for him to talk. "I did it because...I..I was blackmailed."

"What do you mean?"

"Krystal. She knows something about me that I wish to forget. I don't know how she knew. I just don't have any choice but to follow whatever she says." He explained, his eyes now glued to the floor.

I heaved a deep sigh and looked at him. I wanted to ask what that something was but if he wanted to keep it secret, who am i to ask? I was about to open my mouth to speak when he suddenly fished something out of his pocket and tried to hand it to me. "What is that?" I asked as i look at his hand, confused.

I took what looks like an old picture from his hand so i can see it clearly. I squinted my eyes, trying to decipher who was in the picture and in seconds, my eyes went wide when I recognized who's in it.

"Yes, its me..." he said as he bowed his head. "I was fat and you can say ugly if you want. That was me before i decided to change myself. I can't take the bullying of people who thinks they're perfect. I strived harder to look like what i am right now. I even joined this stupid pageant to prove them they're wrong. That they don't have the right to call me ugly."

"But you're beautiful." I cut him off as i stared at his hands now curled into a tight fist. "Everyone is. You just have to start believing it yourself first. I'm always being called a nerd but I don't care. If that's their opinion who cares? But its not an excuse to hurt people, it won't make you any greater than them." I told him as I returned the picture to him.

"I'm sorry Dara. I really am. You won't believe how bad i feel right now because of what i did. But the friendship, its all true." He said trying his hardest so I would forgive him.

"Don't worry Jae, i forgive you." He smiled and took a step forward but I stopped him. "...but let me heal first."

His smile suddenly faded as he stared at me, looking dejected. "I understand Dara." He said. He didn't wait for my answer as he slowly turn around and prepared to leave. "Thank you for being true to me, you're the first person who made me feel free and be the real me." He finally said before walking away. I stared at his retreating back, the pain in my heart gradually ebbing away. I watched as he turned at the corner.

"Thanks to you too Jaejoong. For the friendship."

--------------