Chapter 67: Jump Start

DARA'S POV

"Aunt Thelma!!!" I yelled. If not, screamed the moment I saw her standing by the entrance of her restaurant, her back facing us.

She spun around to look and I saw the look in her eyes changed from being confused to surprise. I ran to her and immediately enveloped her into a tight hug. "Oh my God! Dara?" She said the moment she slightly pulled herself from my embrace to look at me. "Oh my! How you've grown so fast? I almost didn't recognize you."

"Of course I'll grow up. Not that tall but enough to hug you without you crouching down." I said while giggling. I missed her really. It was so long ago when I last saw her. Appa said she's tough when it comes to my other cousins but I never felt that when she's with me. She's really sweet and kind.

"Neh. You were so small back then but look at you now. You've grown a lot taller and of course, prettier. Just like your mo..." She stopped midsentence when she realized what she's about to say. I know what she meant, I just pretended not to. "Hey. Where's your father anyway?" She quickly changed the topic and immediately averted her gaze somewhere.

I slowly pulled out from the hug and looked back at where my father is at. "He's still in the car. Wait a sec, Auntie. I'll go help him." She nodded in response and that's my queue to run back to Appa. At least that helped me escape the awkwardness that's about to happen.

We carried our bags and head back to the restaurant Auntie owns. It's not that big or fancy but people always crowd the place. Some even fall in line to wait for others to finish. Yup, that's how famous this restaurant is and that's because the food here is awesome.

My Appa hugged Aunt Thelma the moment they saw each other. They are cousins and were close back when I was just a kid that's why we always hang around this place whenever we have a vacation here. "Shin-yang! Why didn't you inform me you're coming today? I thought it's not until next week?"

Appa looked at her with sadness in his eyes. I know he's hiding it but you can really tell how he feels even if he's not saying a thing. "Something came up but let's not talk about it now. I'm starving." He said to cut the questioning.

Aunt Thelma's eyes went round when she heard him say that. "Oh my. I forgot. Mino! Mino!" She suddenly yelled and called someone who's name is somewhat familiar.

A guy my age suddenly popped out from what I think is the kitchen and went to Aunt Thelma's side. "Auntie, what is it?" He said as he wipes his hands against the apron he's wearing.

"Cook something special for your Uncle Shin-yang and Dara. They just arrived and hungry so make it fast, neh?" She ordered as he tapped his shoulder. He bowed twice and immediately ran off back to the kitchen again.

"Oh, Thelma. Is that the kid who's always at your house years ago?" My Appa asked as she ushered us in the backroom. I think it's her office. She closed the door and let us sit on the couch.

"Neh. That poor kid. I found out that he lives in an orphanage near our house. His parents abandoned him and didn't come back. Would you believe that?" She said as she shook her head.

"I see. Maybe that's the reason why he always goes to your house back then. Did you adopt him?" Appa asked.

"Yes and that's one of the best decisions I've ever made. He's a great kid. Never did he give me any headaches and always happy to help. Especially now that the business is growing, I need an extra hand." She explained.

"We can help you, Aunt Thelma." I butted in and smiled at her.

"Yes. That's why we're here. We'll help you the best way we can." Appa seconded and tapped my shoulder. I looked at him but his eyes are telling me something. Something I can't comprehend.