Chapter 30: The Moonlight Effect

DARA'S POV

Mr. Kwon invited us for dinner after we talked. Its a good timing that Jiyong already got home from wherever he went to.

"So Dara, how's school? I learned from Jin-young that you won a pageant?" Mrs. Kwon asked me and it definitely made me blush.

"Uhm, i did but my friends helped me a lot that's why i won." I answered and glanced at Jiyong whose busy eating his food. He's always been like that every time he's parents are around. He stays quiet and finish everything as fast as possible so he can get away and be alone.

"That's nice. I've always known you're a beauty queen material." She complimented and that made my face more red. "And I heard that the prize is not that bad. What are you gonna do with it?"

"Oh dear, you know what? She actually offered that to somehow pay me back the tuition fees we paid for her schooling. This kid really." Mr. Kwon unexpectedly mentioned what i told him earlier. All of them looked at me, astonished as if I performed a miracle or something.

"Oh honey, why do that? We never ask you something in return for whatever we give you and your father." Mrs. Kwon looked worried as she clutched her chest looking hurt.

I raised my hands and shook it as a sign of disapproval. "No, no. I dont mean any disrespect. It's the only way i can think of to make up for all the help you've given me and appa."

"But we're the ones whose thankful for all your hardwork and of course, the loyalty and trustworthiness you showed. It's really rare to find those qualities in a person nowadays." Mr. Kwon stated before he continued. "I know, why don't we go on a vacation. It's been a while since all of us took a break. What do you say dear?" He turned to his wife who smiled wider upon hearing her husband's suggestion.

"Oh yes. I agree. All of us became busy with our own businesses. Its about time we give ourselves some time to relax." She stretched her arms and reached for Jiyong whose sitting next to her. "I want to take Jiyong to where we used to take him when he was a kid." She smiled as she placed her hand above Jiyong's.

My eyes focused on Jiyong and waited for his reaction but all i saw was his usual stoic face but i can feel that he's affected by it when he strongly gripped the utensils he's holding.

"Yeah, that's a great idea. We haven't been there for a long time." Mr. Kwon agreed and suddenly turned to me and Appa. "You're also welcome to join us if you don't have any other plans."

"But its your family trip, we don't want to be a bother. Right Dara?" Appa glanced at me to agree but before i could answer Mrs. Kwon beat me to it.

"What? Since when did that happen? And besides, it will be lonely if it'll be just the three of us." She said and looked at both of us while wearing puppy eyes. I must say that Mrs. Kwon really has her way of convincing people and saying no is definitely not an option.

I saw Appa nodded in response and that made her smile widely. "It's set then. I'll have my secretary arrange everything and will inform you when were leaving." Mr. Kwon uttered in a business like tone. Maybe he's always like that when it comes to dealing with people.

The whole dinner became really quiet after that conversation. I can feel the awkwardness building up. I stole a glance at Jiyong and got surprised that he's eating his food slowly this time. Like he's taking his time to finish it but his eyes are focused only on the food. His eyebrows were furrowed, a sign that he's in deep thought. What could be running in his head is totally a mystery for i really can't read his mind. Well i never did try to guess because he's really unpredictable. A lot of times I've experienced when he say something but mean another. Like what he's been acting recently, he can be the meanest person alive but will turn into the sweetest thing you'll ever meet when you least expect it. Might I say that it happened not only once so that means he's consistent. It's the real him. I smiled to myself as i felt my chest pound hard. Finally, I'm beginning to understand him, the real Jiyong.